Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Storage mite allergy.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Malmum, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I had never heard of these mites until today when we took Teebs to see Van (vet) and get the results of his allergy testing.
    Dog Food Storage Mites
    He's also allergic to mould.
    Significant Allergens in the UK | allervet - The answer to allergy

He's allergic to mould and storage and dust mites but it had me wondering if people wrongly assume its a certain kibble that is causing an allergy when in fact it could be storage mites IN the kibble and not the food at all.

Teebs started his desensitising jabs today, states off with 0.2 of the allergen (storage mite, dust mite and mould spores) then the next jab (two weeks later) is 0.4 after two more weeks 0.6 then monthly shots of 1ml. A work colleagues dog is having this treatment and has had remarkable results. I hope it works well with Teebs too. :)

#1 Malmum, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. TheWoodward

TheWoodward PetForums Member

Good luck. The storage mites can be in the dust at the end of bag of kibble so make sure you remove that it can also be in flour etc. Just make sure if you use a containers you wash it after every bag as this can dramatically reduce the DM affecting the dog.

My dog is allergic to them too, as well as dust mites (pain in the bum) and beef

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Mavis has an allergy to storage mites and dust mites.

Seems to be quite a common allergy tbh.

Hope Teebs beats his allergy with the jabs :)

4. soulful dog

soulful dog PetForums Senior

That's interesting to know, I'll need to start washing my pet food container between bags.

Are allergies in dogs similar to humans in that they usually develop when they are young and it's not as common to develop in adult years?

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Allergies in humans can occur in any age, young or old. Although some children who develop asthma, often can grow out of it. Asthma is a the ,body's response to an allergen. Not always identified. Asthma is just one example

Speaking as an adult who had no allergies what so ever as a child, I need to use all my fingers to count what I am allergic to now.

My dog became allergic to grass at aged 3, so I am presuming dogs like humans can develop allergies anytime in life.

Had heard about storage mites, but I think your post has highlighted some good ideas, such as cleaning containers etc. Thanks for the tips, I will be more vigilante, as a pre cautionary measure and I suppose its good hygiene too.

6. victoria171168

victoria171168 PetForums VIP

Put her dried food in the freezer.l usually pour some food into a sieve shake and freeze.it helps with storage mites.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice