Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stopping unwanted puppy behaviour. Advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ktb123, May 20, 2014.

1. Ktb123

Ktb123 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My 9 week old puppy doesn't seem to be getting the message when I say "NO!"
    What is the best way for me to ensure that he gets the message as quickly as possible, for instance, when he is trying to jump up on the sofa or he is nipping?
    I've heard about banging something like a newspaper or using a water spray but not sure I want to go down that route really.
    Any tips that can reinforce my "no!" Message will be gratefully received!!!!

2. Sarahliz100

Sarahliz100 PetForums VIP

He doesn't understand what no means. Teach him what you want him to do instead by rewarding him when he does the right thing. So when he's playing nicely without his teeth lots of praise and game continues. If he's getting mouthy try and redirect him onto a toy and praise him if he does it. If he continues to mouth/nip then stop the game and ignore him for a minute before resuming so he learns that biting = end of fun. If he's really mouthy/nippy he might be overtired so consider putting him in his crate/playpen/safe place for a nap if you think he might be tired.

If you don't want him on the sofa reward him when he's playing nicely on the floor. You could try walking out the room and leaving him alone if gets on the sofa so that he learns getting on the sofa is not at all rewarding. Alternatively work then you could use a house line (a lightweight lead you leave attached in the house) to gently remove him as soon as he gets on the sofa. You need to be consistent and always follow the same rules - don't let him on the sofa occasionally because you're tired and want a bit of peace if your rules are no dogs on the sofa.

Personally I'd avoid anything like spraying with water or hitting with a newspaper. It has the potential to make him very stressed out. My dog is an anxious dog without having used any aversive techniques like that - I dread to think what he'd be like if I'd used punishment.

3. Papirats

Papirats PetForums Member

As above, I'd try to reinforce "yes" behaviours and either ignore or remove or redirect him from "no" ones. A clicker can be great for marking behaviours that are desirable.

Our dogs are allowed on the furniture but they also know what "off" means. You don't have to use a harsh voice or anything aversive, but when he does get or stay off the sofa make sure he knows four paws on the floor = best thing ever because a reward is coming :)

4. Ktb123

Ktb123 PetForums Newbie

Thanks peeps. I will give that a go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice