Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stopping house sitting

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Izzy95, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

At the moment I offer a house sitting service but where I live now is not suitable for them to stay in my own home. I have a few regulars and I feel comfortable house sitting there but especially over summer I get a lot of new houses that I've never stayed in before and it's not something I'm comfortable with. Obviously I'll do everything I have booked but I'm thinking after that I might only house sit the houses I already have and dogs I already walk. I'm a bit concerned about losing money in future though, is it a bad idea to cut out part of the service? I'm worried that I am not setting myself up to fail. I know only I can make this decision and I need to look at finances etc. But does anyone here not do house sitting and still do ok? I'll still do house visits to feed cats and things like that but no overnight stays in someone else's house

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

We only do it for clients that us for walks as well, and then we are still selective! I wouldn't want to be staying in homes where I don't know the owners reasonably well and the dogs very well. Just put on your website it's a service for regular clients only, that'll gets round the problem of people asking. As for the money, I believe you've not been going long? After a few years you'll have enough of your regular clients wanting overnights anyway, so longer term it won't be an issue.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. joface

joface PetForums Member

Working for yourself means you have the pleasure of being selective about what you do and who you work for. It's your business so only you can decide which parts of the business you would prefer not to do & whether you can afford to give it up. Personally, I wouldn't do any part of the job that I didn't enjoy, for example, when we first started home boarding it became clear that we only wanted to board the dogs we already walked and already had a relationship with. I don't even advertise home boarding now, I just tell our clients that we are licensed to do it if they were interested and just from those clients we have very few 'no dog' days/weeks/weekends

4. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

Thank you, I think I'm going to stop doing house sitting. I started in May last year so haven't been going long but fortunately I've got quite a few dogs to walk already so I'm happy to look after any of them when they go away and I have a few houses that I house sit already that I'd be happy to carry on doing. I worry that I'm shooting myself in the foot money wise but I think it'll cause a lot less anxiety if I just stick to what I know I enjoy. I can always look into it again in the future maybe. Thank you for the advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice