Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stopping a dog jumping up?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by slakey, Jul 16, 2009.

1. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Hey all.

This isn't about my lab puppy, it's about my older dog Zeus.

Really the title says my problem, I can't seem to stop him jumping up at people etc.

When someone comes in the front door, he jumps up at the living room door, when they come in he jumps up at them.

And when Zeus weighs 4 1/2stone, mostly all muscle, it's kinda hard not to get pushed back into the door. When he does finally start leaning against you on his hind legs, he gives alot of kisses, yes I know it is still bad, even if he does give kisses.

So really I'm trying to find out how to stop him. He's 3years old.

Luckily Milo isn't picking up on it at the minute.

Thanks for any help,

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

What other behaviours does he exhibit? Does he pull you on walks? Always try to muscle in for a fuss? Or paw you to get your attention? Is he excitable? Does he go on sofas/beds etc?

3. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

He does pull, but not so much anymore. Doesn't muscle in for fuss, but he does sometimes give his paw for attention, and yes he is rather excitable, he only sleeps on the sofa when we are all upstairs in bed, or when we go out for a while.

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

One our dogs used to jump at people who came into our house,so whenever someone came to visit i put his lead on,then introduced him to the people,when he had calmed down i took his lead off and he would go to them ,have a sniff then leave them alone

5. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

He does it with family members aswell though.

6. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

When Rusty(not the dog in my pic its the other dog in my profile) used to do that as long as the family member was not a small child we would fold our arms and turn away,not talking to the dog at all,it took awhile but as he got no reaction he stopped doing it,then after a few minutes i would call him to me ,tell him sit then treat him,so he learnt that good behaviour got a reward,unwanted behaviour was ignored.

7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My dogs jump at my mum and my husband, but not at me.

My reasoning for this is because I am the clear pack leader and it is disrespectful for them to jump. Unfortunatley my husband and mum will not do enough to earn this status.

If it were me, I would do as the previous post said and put a lead on.

x

8. Malibugirl

Malibugirl PetForums Junior

Im really interested to follow this post as our 10 month old Lurcher / Lab X does exactly the same. She jumps up at everyone, including myself and my husband (all 4 feet off the ground, not just on back legs). She is getting big and so really hurts sometimes, even though all she wants to do is kiss us. We have had her for a month and we always turn our back, crossing our arms and ignore her until she calms down then praise her for being well behaved, but so far this is having no effect whatsoever. She is extremely exciteable (being still a puppy) and just loves everyone and everything. She does exactly the same to dogs that she meets, jumps over them, on them, under them! Its getting quite tiring and I am worried she is going to hurt someone. She is quite an obedient dog, but if there is someone else around or a distraction that she prefers, you might aswell be mute because she certainly becomes deaf! :cursing:

9. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Hello
    I'm delighted to have cracked this problem recently (my dog is two).
    I've basically done it by not engaging with him and talking to him as much. A friend (who has really well behaved dogs) advised me to look above his head not at him, and just simply don't fuss him up too much. I didn't realise but I was always talking to him and fussing him and so he was constantly excited and primed to jump up.
    Now, he keeps his paws on the ground at all times unless I ask for a paw, and also I have found that it has become normal to him to keep his paws on the ground so I now don't have to blank him as much (which I found v hard to do).
    I hope that makes sense but I honestly thought I would never ever get to this stage with my dog and he's an absolute joy to have around now - I'm so delighted about it as jumping up was by far my biggest problem. All of my visitors were getting paw marks on their clothes and once or twice he knocked a friends little girl over. I was mortified. Also, whenever I went outside to do anything he would run alngside me just constantly jumping up at me and so I was forever having to get changed as everything I wore got covered in mud - he doesn't do any of that now, he's ace!
    Hope you succeed - training is bloomin hard sometimes! It all sounds great in thory I find!
    Karen

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice