Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

stop chewing spray. does it work???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by doggie82, May 12, 2010.

1. doggie82

doggie82 PetForums Member

I was just wondering if it actually works. my dog started off chewing shoes and slippers i was not bothered about that. but now she has started chewing my furniture. just want to know if it works before i go out and buy some

2. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

#2 michaelasi, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I had problems with one chewing my woodwork in the kitchen. The problem with the sprays is that they just ran off pretty quickly. In the end I rubbed Vicks on which stayed in place for days and worked much better.

4. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

from my experience thay dont work, we had one and it seemed to taste nice to the dog so he chewed even more. Not worth the money IMO

5. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

I have bitter apple spray. It works but I wonder, if he gets older, will he still hate the taste or don't bother anymore.

6. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

I agree with the above, just get cheaper brand of vicks rub it works much better and stays put!:thumbup:

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Vicks works wonders

8. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Otto saw all the usuall non-chew sprays as tasty sauce. He even likes lemon!
    Bitter Apple was the only thing I found that he didn't like but even that didn't last long.

9. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

but is it harmless??

10. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

The stop chewing spreys did not work for Sonny either. Did not try vicks so can not comment on it (luckily he stopped chewing pretty quick). I think it was the bitter apple one I had (but could be wrong) and Sonny used to lick it off and then chew (he chewed the table when teething) and as mentioned at also run off the surface quite quick after being spreyed.

11. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

OHs mum got a pet corrector from p@h for maisie works a treat but also i agree with vicks even though i aint tried it yet lol hear it works well though

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Probably going to get shot down in flames here but isnt it better to address the problem rather than the symptom? No idea how you would go about it tho :lol: I now have a pic of everything in my house coated in Vick and not a blocked nose in sight :lol:

That said, a pup we had years ago chewed our furniture, and I cant remember how we stopped it, could be she just out grew it. Thankfully its not something Heidi has looked to do. From a tiny pup I always left her with really interesting chewys, meaty rib bone, lamb flavoured hide, pigs ears, stuffed kong. She had a teenage blip and chewed the arm of my glasses but thankfully they were cheapies and I was only upstairs:eek:

Hope you manage to find something that works :D

13. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I agree with adressing the problem and training to chew other things but used the spray as a back up cos Otto was a sneaky little pup! Thankfully he really wasn't too bad and quickly grew out of it.

14. doggie82

doggie82 PetForums Member

thank you every one for your pointers. we well defo be trying them out. once again thank you
    kim

15. kath3kidz

kath3kidz PetForums Junior

I've tried Bob Martin Puppy Chew Stop but it has had very little effect. My pup has been with me 1 week now and is 8 weeks old tomorrow. He began trying to rip at a loose edge on my fitted carpet - which I can't afford to replace. I was desperate to stop him so I sprinkled the edge with hot chilli powder. He only went back to it once and has now left it alone. But I wouldn't like to use that often, as I don't know if it is very good for him....:(
    My friend is using Vick and swears by it but you can't use that on soft furnishings so what else can we use? We need something that tastes horrible... how about weak diluted perfume spray?? I might try bitter apple.

16. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Willow just likes the feel of chewing anything wooden which obv isnt safe nor very nice for our furnishings

I used shaws chew deterrent, that my nan bought me as a puppy warming present:D
    It works, two pumps will keep her away for couple of days at least.

Havent had to use it ages actually, :thumbup:

17. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Nope. Tried LOTS of them as I have a hyperactive labrador pup who will chew on anything he can reach.

Diluted mustard powder works. English mustard powder mixed with water in a runny solution, sprayed or brushed onto whatever you don't want them to chew.

18. Bitter apple! but havn't a clue where you buy it!

19. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Noooo! That's exactly what I bought. Did NOTHING. Dante licked it and continued chewing. :rolleyes:

20. woodwitch

woodwitch PetForums Member

In one word: No!

Ok, maybe it's just my dog. There seems to be nothing he doesn't like the taste of. We even did taste tests with stuff in the house, putting little bits on our fingers to see if there was something he hated. Lemon juice, vinegar - he had no problems licking it off! I really do despair as he is starting to wreck my home unless watched constantly! :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice