Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

stop barking!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Deb, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

how do i stop my puppy barking at the guinea pigs? When they go out in their run in the garden the dog goes wild-running around the run and barking. I'm not worried about the guineas as they ignore her. It is the neigbours i am concerned about. one is pregnant and due any day and when the baby is here i don;t want them disturbed by a barking pup (she is 7 1/2 mths old.)

2. Bryn's Mum

Bryn's Mum PetForums Newbie

What breed is your dog, i ask because it can make a difference to how you would deal with it, what do you do now to stop the barking.

3. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

she is a border collie. At the moment i say NO and move her away but she will turn on me and has bitten me. i try to distract her with a toy or treat but that only lasts for so long before she is back rounding them up and barking

4. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i use a coke can or any can. pop some pennys in it. and close it up. and give it a good shake! that'll give him a shock and should deter him from wanting to do it again. i have a 1 year old border collie, he barks when hes in the garden at people walking past sometimes.. he hears the tin. i don't even shake it! and he just knows hes in the wrong. and stops. its brilliant. :)
    although he has been taught that shakey tin means naughty from when he was a puppy so its pretty well taught. but im sure your pup will catch on in no time!

#4 Sarahnorris, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. Bryn's Mum

Bryn's Mum PetForums Newbie

It will take time but put her on a lead and take her out, have some good quality treats, liver cheese sausage,Teach her to" watch me" by holding treat to her nose then up to your mouth saying watch me, when she does click and treat.
    Practice this several times a day, she should get the message, stay calm and reward

6. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

If possible, you should enclose her in a certain part of the house/garden while your guinea pigs are out.

7. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Just out of interest, is there anything you DON'T solve with the shakey can?

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I think I would use the can method too.. but I use a small plastic bottle with fish tank gravel.

Only reason being I followed fron the dog whisperers way of teaching his dogs that snakes are bad, make going near them unpleasant, and staying a way from them nice :)
    I have actually had to start squirting my pair with water when they go for a bee because im scared they will get stung. It's working.

x

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

you dont want to be using this as an everyday item, it should really be used as a last resort. Just do some good training and the dog should follow what you ask of it.
    training is more about the person than the dog. :)
    any loud noises in the future the dog could become skittish and not know what to do - then you have a fearful dog that you cant easily control

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice