Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stood on a rusty nail...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Royoyo, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

This afternoon I stood bare footed on a rusty nail that was poking out of the decking in the back garden. It went into the heel by atleast 1 cm I reckon. It doesn't particularly hurt that bad now but do I need a tetanus jab or do I need to do anything specific?. I haven't had a tetanus since I was a child. It's not red or swollen but I'm worried i'm going to die :eek: lol

2. HamishTheGingerNinga

HamishTheGingerNinga PetForums Newbie

I would probs go see a doctor, even if its not red

Better to be safe than sorry :)

Good luck, Hope it doesn't get infected

3. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

^^^^^^^^^ this

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You won't die (tetanus takes a few days to kill), but get a tetanus jab as soon as possible to be on the safe side. You should get one every 10 years.

5. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

For peace of mind, just get it looked at tomorrow, as it went so deep, and get a tetanus, if you have't had one since childhood.

I am sure you will be fine, but why stress yourself out? The NHS is there to help you.

Or you could always talk to NHS direct - or 111 - depending on your area.

If it looks at all red or swollen, go get it looked at. Then you can get it treated and relax. It's horrible worrying like that.

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I'm afraid to say...but a tetanus jab in the arse is impending :p

Other than that you should be fine :p

7. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

I stood on a rusty nail last month, it went straight through my trainer and up into my foot. I didn't take any chances, I went and got myself a tetanus jab the following morning.

8. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Ouch. I had mine in my arm.

9. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Tut...spoil the fun :D :D :D

10. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

Oh my God, not the buns :crying::hand:

11. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

I would go see a doctor. I got the tetanus shot last year and the needle was put in my arm. :)

12. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

unless you are very rich or highly allergic to any of the components then be prepared to be injected with the triple vaccine dtp -diptheria ,tetanus, polio, they gave this to my bf and he felt a bit "off" for a while probably a bit like man flu:rolleyes:i tried my docs and the travel immunisation clinic for a single tetanus-no -one stocked it, not cost effective apparently, surely they would save money by not giving us vaccines that are not requested/needed:confused:
    they prob think im crazy lady for making a fuss, i decided not to have it as i had only stabbed myself in the finger with a clean/not rusty scizzors, i did a course of antibiotics though as it was very sore and red/swollen :(.
    not so funny though when a few days later i woke up with toothache and cos my whole jaw was hurting i panicked and though omg i ve got lockjaw, it was just a bad tooth though:rolleyes:, if not it sure was nice meeting you all:D if you do go to hospital rather than doc i d be interested to know if they stock emergency single vaccines,...good luck ,it is in the buns i mean arm:p ,maybe if you had sat on a rusty nail:eek:

13. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

yeh, but Paddy takes it up the arse :p

14. metame

metame PetForums VIP

hope you get it sorted soon

15. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

My doc said changed view on this and don't recommend ten year boosters any more ............... in fact for you OP, he said just have a booster if you tread on a rusty nail :D

16. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Nothing, i say NOTHING is as serious as man flu!!!
    :lol:

17. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Keep your tet jabs up to date. It's only every 5 years, I think. But you may need AB's

18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I work as a gardener, so I'm always putting my hands in soil and usually have some scratches or cuts on my hands (hate wearing gloves), so my GP practice still goes for 10 year jabs for me.

I wonder if they're cutting down the number of jabs to save money? Of course it's dirty puncture wounds that are the most likely to transmit tetanus, and many people never get one in their entire lives.

19. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Could well be just to save money - then again I did react badly to the last tetnus jab I had, my arm swelled massively from elbow to shoulder so GP said as they don't automatically recommend every 10 years now and the fact I react leave it and just go back for one if I stick a garden fork through my foot!

20. la468

la468 Guest

I suffered a dog bite last year in Spain and when I spoke to my GP about it here in the UK he wanted me to have a tetanus jab to be on the safe side however then the nurse said I didn't need it as the rules for it had been changed and apparently my jabs were all up to date (I haven't had a tetanus in recent years though). I remember a previous GP a few years ago said the rules had changed too and it wasn't needed every 10 years. The doctor in Spain (who I went straight to after the bite happened) wanted to give me a tetanus jab but at the time I was unsure when I had had my last tetanus booster so she didn't give me the jab but recommended I speak to my GP in the UK instead (where I had access to my medical records and jab dates!)

Just read that back... gone on a bit haven't I? :D haha sorry! :D Hope you get it sorted soon though OP, definitely see your GP if you haven't done so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice