Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stomatitis

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bethany22, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Bethany22

Bethany22 PetForums Newbie

Hi all I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience with stomatitis in cats. I had my 5-6yr old Kitty at the vet tonight for over grooming that has led to baldness. They did a general health check and found small lesions in her gums they believe are stomatitis. It’s on roughly 4 of her teeth, her incisors and canines. Vet has suggested a teeth extraction in the near future which we will go for. She is still eating normally. I’m looking for someone with experience with this to put me at ease.

2. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

One of my cats, Oliver, has this problem. When he was only one he had to have 10 teeth removed and I was so upset about it. He is now nearly 4 and he has gone from strength to strength. Good luck with your fur baby x

Attached Files:

Bethany22 and vivien like this.
  3. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

3 of 4 litter-mate cats, and their mum, have this. All had their teeth out. The mum and 2 daughters are perfectly healthy, happy cats. The son is not doing so well, he has steroids every month to control it. I blame myself for not pushing to have the operation sooner. Even so he is doing pretty well and is nearly 10 now.

Did the vet treat your cat with steroids and/or pain meds?

vivien likes this.
  4. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

My Tommy had this. He was rescued at 3 years old from the streets and shortly after had 14 teeth removed after we struggled to get his mouth under control. He had no further problems from his mouth after this so it was the best thing I ever did for him. He ate 2 pouches of food immediately after getting back from the vet and bounced back pretty much immediately. It’s not the same for everyone but I’d do it again in a heartbeat x

5. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

My Tiga suffers from this. He has had quite a few teeth out, he only has his canine teeth and 3 tiny teeth in the front of his mouth. He will be 11 this year, and acts like a tiny kitten since he had the teeth causing the problem out. He hasn’t had a flare up since having them removed.
    Viv xx

Orla and Bethany22 like this.
  6. Bethany22

Bethany22 PetForums Newbie

the vet gave her an injection of steroids, along with antibiotics to rule out mites and a urine infection and she has a slight bacterial infection from over grooming. They reckon the teeth may have triggered the over grooming but we won’t know till they take them out.

7. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Oh good. The steroids will really help.

Stress over grooming affected one of my old girls, never did figure it out. There are herbal food additives if necessary but hopefully she’ll be much happier with the teeth out.

8. Wakarundayo

Wakarundayo PetForums Newbie

My Tama was just diagnosed this week. He did overgroom a few months ago but I didn't notice how bad his gums were until he stopped eating. We might have to go with extraction if he doesn't improve as well.

Best of luck to your Kitty!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice