UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some snaps of my last couple of litters - and I do mean last, because I've decided not to breed them anymore. I feel it's pointless breeding animals if you're not going to keep some from every litter, and I have no more space so I'd have to sell all the pups from any more litters I might breed. So here they are, the last Stolenkiss Gerbil litters.

I had 4 litters in the last while, but the oldest of those 4 litters (Togo's first batch of pups) has yet to be photographed. That'll be done tonight. Until then, enjoy:

Mottle's first litter
Mottle's black boy:

Mottle's (very uncooperative) black girl, this was the only half-decent photo out of about 25 I took:

Pick of the litter, my little white fella Stolenkiss LeBlanc, easily the nicest white pup I've ever bred and doesn't he know it!

Mottle's second litter, all 5 of them. The black and mottled blacks are girls, the other 2 are boys:

And the two Mottle Jrs - one is looking to have much more white than the other but both have some degree of mottling:

Their pigment is about twice as dark as this today.

Togo's second litter at 11 days
The 2 boys, 1 agouti and 1 argente golden:

The 3 girls, 2 goldies and one black, watch what the brighter golden girl did:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's very cheeky isn't she, that one? :D

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
they are gorge!

i still need to get pics of my little ones...when they stay still :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Those photo's are soooo cute, I want that little golden girl.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Togo's older litter, the 6 boys I still have, as promised:

And the one that got away - Loki as he's been named, taken a week and a half ago before he went to his new home 3 hours' drive away!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Ohh it has got to be said you have a gorgeous bunch there! The last photo in the main thread is the best! Posers! :):)
How do you find gerbils ?
I was going to get a pair in [email protected] on saturday instead of a rat and decided against it after as i didn't know much about their temprement*sp?* lol..

xx

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Awww what beautiful little gerbils - lovely colours.:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

I have had most furries but never ever had a gerbil. I've heard a few people say they bite a lot - is this true? Do you keep more than one together or do they fight like hamsters?

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi. i have spoken to you recently about my baby gerbils. they are doing well. yours are so cute and the same colours as mine. i am sorry to hear you are not breeding any more but i understand what you mean about giving them away as they are toooooo adorable. maybe you will do it again in a year or two.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Awww what beautiful little gerbils - lovely colours.:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

I have had most furries but never ever had a gerbil. I've heard a few people say they bite a lot - is this true? Do you keep more than one together or do they fight like hamsters?
they don't tend to fight and just as long as they are sexed properly are okay living in pairs :)

forgot to mention they only tend to bite if the are frightened

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awww, their so cute :D

Will you continue breeding next year?
Nope - that's it! No more breeding. Finished. I'm hoping to move to Canada in a few years' time and if I keep breeding gerbils it will just mean more to transport with me. Something I'm pretty nervous about in the first place to be honest. I'm worried they wouldn't take the stress and would die en route or something :(

How do you find gerbils ?
I was going to get a pair in [email protected] on saturday instead of a rat and decided against it after as i didn't know much about their temprement*sp?* lol..
They make wonderful pets. So entertaining, not nippy at all if you have a well-bred one, intelligent as rodents go. Some of mine answer to their names. Some people train them to do show jumping courses! I often think they behave more like little ground squirrels than rats or mice. They look more like squirrels too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone! :thumbsup:

That's only true if you have one that wasn't properly handled when it was young, like if you get from a pet shop that sources its animals from some factory farm. Or if you have an animal that comes from an aggressive family, or it's just in pain. Mine don't bite at all, though some of them like to explore my fingers by mouthing (not biting, just touching with their teeth and tongue like baby humans).

Because gerbils are colonial animals in the wild it's recommended to always keep at least 2 together. They can be tricky to introduce to each other as strangers though so if you're going for gerbies it's better to get two littermates. Males are easier for first timers as they're generally more easygoing than females, which are the more dominant sex. Jermaine Greers of the rodent world my vet called them!

Unless you have a mother and 2 daughters, I have found that females are better in pairs than groups. Groups of males are fine mostly, but sometimes if you keep a trio you might get two ganging up on one and bullying a bit, so pairs or groups of 4 would be more straightforward.

hi. i have spoken to you recently about my baby gerbils. they are doing well. yours are so cute and the same colours as mine. i am sorry to hear you are not breeding any more but i understand what you mean about giving them away as they are toooooo adorable. maybe you will do it again in a year or two.
Glad to hear that your pups are getting on well :)

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Nope - that's it! No more breeding. Finished. I'm hoping to move to Canada in a few years' time and if I keep breeding gerbils it will just mean more to transport with me. Something I'm pretty nervous about in the first place to be honest. I'm worried they wouldn't take the stress and would die en route or something :(
If you move to Canada, you can attend the AGS shows :thumbsup:

There's no leaving my home land for me. I love wales too much :D

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
How are gerbils smell wise - do they smell about the same as hamsters? Are they easy to handle once tamed and what's the best type of cage for them or do they have to have a tank? Oh and how long do they usually live on average?
Sorry for all the questions but I've never had a gerbil but often see them in the pets at home rescue bit.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Can I ask a question as well pleeze?:D:D Would a 2ft by 1ft tank be enough for 1 gerbil.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
How are gerbils smell wise - do they smell about the same as hamsters? Are they easy to handle once tamed and what's the best type of cage for them or do they have to have a tank? Oh and how long do they usually live on average?
Sorry for all the questions but I've never had a gerbil but often see them in the pets at home rescue bit.
They don't smell at all. They're much cleaner than hamsters. Gerbis should always have tanks IMO. Cages have far too many disadvantages. On average, gerbils live 3-5 years, although most won't live much past 3 years of age.

Can I ask a question as well pleeze?:D:D Would a 2ft by 1ft tank be enough for 1 gerbil.
Yeah that's fine. Although 1 gerbil on it's own is likely to become stressed.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
They don't smell at all. They're much cleaner than hamsters. Gerbis should always have tanks IMO. Cages have far too many disadvantages. On average, gerbils live 3-5 years, although most won't live much past 3 years of age.

Yeah that's fine. Although 1 gerbil on it's own is likely to become stressed.
What size tank would you need for two gerbils and what sex would you get if you wanted to get two?
I can't have any yet cos I haven't got room for a big tank.:sad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.