Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stolen Dogs found in Police raid

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Charity, Sep 14, 2020 at 10:18 AM.

1. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I don't understand why you wouldn't chip your pet, especially as it's free through Dog's Trust and many veterinary locations. I didn't know that! Here in the US you have to pay to have your dog chipped. My vet charges $30, even low cost places have to charge up to $15. Still a bargain for the security it provides, but if it's free why on earth not get your pet chipped?

Hope these pups find a good home.

Beth78, katla, Jason25 and 2 others like this.
  3. Charity

It's a legal requirement here in the UK though obviously not everyone adheres to it and there's really no-one to police it.

4. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I wonder how many of them were puppies that were stolen before they had chance to get the litter chipped?

I’m just glad they’ve been found, hopefully they get good homes :D

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Also some of the dogs could have been stolen before chipping became law, I know one dog was reunited with their owner 6 years after being taken when he was just a pup.

Ellie&cats, Lurcherlad, O2.0 and 3 others like this.
  6. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

Well done to the police for rescuing them...They will get good homes now.

Ellie&cats, Lurcherlad and katla like this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Hopefully they will be able to find the owners of some more of them, I know they've managed to get some back to their owners. If not at least they will go on to find new homes.
    Chipping is still a massive minefield. By law puppies must be chipped by 8 weeks old and registered to the breeder first and foremost. Then new owners can get the details changed when they get all the paperwork from the breeder. Of course this doesn't always happen and stray dogs get picked up wither with no chip, a chip that hasn't been registered at all, chipped to the breeder not current owner, chipped to a previous owner, or with out of date contact details.
    For example we had a dog in this week via the dog warden who was still chipped to a previous owner - it had been with the new owner 6 years!!!
    It's shown me the importance of checking dog's chips, not only to make sure they are working but that the details on the chip are correct.

8. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Yes I think many people don't realise or can't be bothered to register the chip, even though mine have been chipped at the vets it was up to me to send off paperwork, plus there is as far as I understand not just one database for chips, all the company's have their own.

Chipping works very when all the i's have been dotted and t's crossed, but whilst chipping pups might be the law, it appears registering is not.

Sarah H likes this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Penny's chip is registered to me, but she's also on the vet's database with her chip number and details with them too.
    I had them check her chip to make sure it was working when she went in for her boosters. It takes literally seconds. It's a good habit to get in to whenever you're at the vet, just quickly scan the chip and make sure it's working.

Lurcherlad, Sarah H and kimthecat like this.
  10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I saw this on twitter.
    Following the recent police operation at the Star Lane travellers site in Orpington, these poor dogs have been recovered, they are all confirmed or suspected stolen. Please help us return them to their families. Call 101
    @MetCC
    and quote Op Medusa. Please help.

[​IMG]

Ellie&cats and LinznMilly like this.
  11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

The owners of Bertie are hoping he is one of the dogs found. [​IMG]

Ellie&cats and LinznMilly like this.
  12. Charity

I saw this before, I wondered if he was dog No. 2

Ellie&cats and kimthecat like this.
  13. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I hope he is
    . The owners have contacted the police and hope to hear by Tuesday or Wednesday if it is him. I dont know why they have to wait so long ; it must be torture for them.

ETA just reading the tweets and it seem there were about 50 dogs so perhaps it takes time to indentify them etc

Ellie&cats, Lurcherlad and LinznMilly like this.
  14. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

I've never sent off paperwork so who knows if mine are actually registered or not. As far as I'm aware my vet inputs the relevant details.

15. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would check with your Vet as mine had the details on file but didn't send them off to the Database, I had to do that.

Ellie&cats, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  16. Sarah H

Some vets do, others just chip and then it's up to you to register as the owner. If you know the database your dog is registered with and the chip number you should be able to find out if it's registered properly. You can usually pay about £20 to have lifetime access to edit details on the chip database (e.g. if you need to change phone number, house move etc)

Ellie&cats and MontyMaude like this.
  17. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Give them a call (the chip firm). They'll be able to confirm.
    When I called to upgrade Jessie's cover, was very surprised (and quite impressed too) when the lady who took my call had all the details of previous registrations (previous cats, now all at Rainbow Bridge).

18. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

I will, thank you.
    I have no idea who the company is, my current dog was already chipped by the original owner before I adopted her from rspca but my cats were chipped by our vet.
    My old dog was chipped by the rescue minutes after we adopted him as they went to check his chip but realised they'd missed doing it. I'm sure our vet then registered it to us but it was 16 years ago now.
    That one must have been registered as we later got him a passport and never had an issue.
    I wouldn't even know who they're with. Would assume petlog but I've no idea really.

I've never had to change any details so I've never given it a thought. Clearly easy to assume its all in order.

19. Sarah H

@Arny your vet will be able to tell you the database when you get them scanned. I've had to register one myself, and they let me know the database and chip number so I could sort it.

Arny, Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  20. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sad news from Berties mum. Dog number 2 is not Bertie, :( Gutted for then but pleased for the owners of the dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice