Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stinky problem

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jayne31, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Morning.

My elderly persian cat, Oscar, has had a bit of a litter box accident this morning, after I cleared it all up I realised that his fur round his back end has poo all stuck in it and it smells.

Am off down the local pet centre this morning and wondered whether you can get wipes or whether I should just wash him (which will be a challenge!) - I don't really want to stress him out but I can't leave him the way he is

Thanks

Jayne

2. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

you can by wipes worth a try depending on how bad it is :D

3. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

As you can imagine, he's not to keen on me looking ;)

4. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

lol try the wipes first it worth ago i had the same problem about 8 months ago i just couldnt get rid of the smell with the wipes so had to bath him in the end :eek:

5. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Have a feeling it might have to come to that!

Haven't had to do this for a while, so will have to go buy some Marigolds :D

What a way to spend a Bank Holiday :rolleyes:

6. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

oh i no i never hardly had any skin left on me arms once id finished :eek: good luck :D

7. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Good luck !!!

8. GazNicki

GazNicki PetForums Newbie

Baby wipes are perfectly fine to use. Buy the better brands if you can. We used Tesco Value ones and found them to be pants, however Tesco have a Buy 1 get 2 Free on Huggies Wipes (Aloe Vera) which clean well and smell nice - and are kind to the bum.

With him being a cat an not a kitten, its going to be a challenge, but it is going to be worth it in the end. Worst case scenario is a bath - but that may take 2 people to do sucessfully.

Good Luck.

9. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Have just bathed his back end with some kitten shampoo and he is not a happy chappy :mad:

In fact he is looking at me like I am the devil incarnate!

He's also now walking with his back end down (as if he is going to scoot) am hoping this is just a reaction to being washed and now being wet!

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh, hope it worked! I find that using a warm, wet wash cloth gets the job done pretty well. Several 'attacks' to get the worst off, followed by some gentle combing to get any remaining bits!
    Oh, the joy of longer haired cats!

11. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

He was still a bit whiffy but I think it was more a "damp cat" whiff. It's seems better now and I've washed all his bedding and the throws on our sofas!

Will get him his own wash cloth but this time it was definately a bath job :001_smile:

I need to get him clipped as he has got quite matted on his hind quarters and he HATES being groomed, so may ask if they can clip round the back area to make sure anything remaining is gone and he won't have to be washed!

12. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Glad he's smelling sweeter now. Having persians with IBD who have occasionally needed bathing I can confirm that its not pleasant!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice