Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stinky breath

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jo-pop, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

How normal is it for a cat to have whiffy breath? He's nearly 6 months old so still a kitten. He's on 100% wet diet (Bozita, Animonda, Smilla)
    I've given his mouth a really good check over and all gums are pale pink and all teeth bright White.
    It's only when he yawns that I can smell it.
    Is this normal?

2. Anca

Anca PetForums Senior

Hi Jo,

I think if he's not stinky too often, there's no problem. But if the smell persists for a longer period - I don't know, a week or two, then your cat might need a vet check (and not an owner check :)) He's very young for dental problems, but an infection is not impossible. If it's not that, it's the stomach, or a throat infection.

You'll start to worry when you know the problem is not now and then.

Good luck hun.

3. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

He's already booked in for Saturday morning but just wondered what people here thought. Hopefully it's just his meaty diet :)

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I could be wrong :eek:,it has been known ;)but I think when kittens are teething their breath can be a bit smelly.Meeko's certainly was and I'm fairly sure I've read of others mentioning the same thing.Feel free to tell me I'm talking BS :D

5. McSquirtle

McSquirtle PetForums Senior

I definitely agree with this! Lola's canines are coming through at the moment and her breath is stinky when she's grooming/yawning etc.

6. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

Sheldon always has stinky breath but he has a lot of dental problems but like the others have said its prob his "adult" teeth coming through

7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Treacle had smelly breath with teething too, especially when he had a loose baby tooth (one of the main fangs) hanging on for several weeks alongside the new adult one. It looked quite sore too so I was very glad when the vet removed it when he was neutered. They don't want to operate on kittens unless necessary which is totally understandable!! Hope it's just teething troubles :smile:

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Given his age, this would be my thinking too. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice