Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stimulating games

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kdlang, Jul 17, 2009.

1. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

My 1 yr old foster lab has started frustration barking and i suspect its because he needs more stimulation. He will be starting assistance dog training in a couple of months but until then I would like some ideas of games we can play that are cheap and will get his brain working. We already play hide the bonio, hide and seek with the kids, and hiding a treat under one of several beakers for him to find.

I have been looking at the Nina Ottosson puzzles and think they look great but I really can't justify spending that much money. Is there any cheaper alternatives out there?

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

cant think of much off the top of my head.

some basic training perhaps, making it fun.

if he is a pup make a tunnel course with large cardoard boxes, have treats at one exit.

other than that i would do a google for dog games.

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Is he getting enough exercise?

4. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

2 30 min walks a day when I do the school run plus a free run about 3 times a week. Training walks 3 times a week where we got to Tai chi, on buses, to town etc. Plays with football in the garden. Tug games.
    I liked to idea posted on one of the other threads about the running round and then stopping suddenly saying stop then going again. Think that will be good for keeping his focus on me all the time.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

This is a good idea. As well as 'stop' and 'go', teach 'left' and 'right'. You can also do 'down' or 'sit' when he stops, and 'wait' as you move off, get him to wait for longer then run to catch up with you.
    Another good one is to put him in a down, make him wait (hold him at first if necessary), throw a toy or treat, then release him to go find it. After a bit, and with practice, you can throw the toy, and get him to do a series of exercises, such as you walk away a bit, call him to you, tell him to wait again, walk in a different direction, call him to you again, do a sit, you leave him again - and then release him to find the toy. Use hand signals as well as vocal commands. When he is used to them, do the whole routine on hand signals only.
    When doing this with my dog, I find it interesting how she always orientates herself to where I have thrown the toy (a ball) when she does one of these recalls, and when finally released always heads off in the exact right direction. And other people in the park can be seriously impressed!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice