Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

still waiting...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Doggo, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Doggo

Doggo PetForums Newbie

Well, here goes. please be gentle with me ...or, having read LinznMilly's newbies guide, perhaps not, as warts and all is best for me and my potential new addition.
    After much (too much) research about two years ago, I decided a Border Terrier would be a good match for me and I went to see a breeder, put down a small deposit after seeing the puppy, bought everything needed (and some which i probably wouldn't need too), Then, without warning, my elderly dad became ill and ended up in hospital and then needed to move into a home. It was very stressful, I panicked, didn't think I could take on the responsibility of a puppy at the same time as sorting things out for my dad so with two weeks to go i contacted the breeder and said i couldn't go ahead after all. Luckily the breeder was understanding and didn't make me pay the whole amount.
    Fast forward a few months and I was then in a position to give full attention to a puppy so started my search again but lockdown happened. I put things on hold but have now found a reputable KC breeder who hopefully will have pups later in the year.
    I've also had a couple of conversations with a behaviourist about my home set up as i work from home - permanently since years before lockdown - but need to make sure my set up is conducive to giving a puppy a relatively stress-free good start. Oh, and me too! I also have, over the last couple of years, built up a small contingency fund so am happy to continue with the behaviourist at first till a routine is established. i intend to take two weeks off work to settle puppy in etc.

anyway, my question (finally! i hear you say) is - i sometimes get anxious and panicky at new situations. and i haven't had a puppy for a loooong time - so anyone else have this sort of issue so i can pinch some strategies for not freaking out initially when i'm sleep deprived, have arms like pin-cushions, start thinking omigod wotavidun etc. I realise it's my own fault as i've totally over-thunk /over-thinked everything and i know it won't last forever. i hope ;)
    thanks for reading.

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I think anyone who gets a puppy has that ‘oh what have I done moment’ However it sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this so should be fine just be ready for a week of being slightly sleep deprived :)

Sarah H, Doggo, tabelmabel and 3 others like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

You sound like you are well prepared . I did laugh at your last paragraph. :) I dont have any tips except to say enjoy your pup when she comes.

I hope your Dad is ok now.

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into bringing a new pup home- that's a good thing as it means you've also considered the less fun & cute side to puppies- and they can be absolute PITAs.

If you're prepared that you may get the puppy blues I do think it helps with dealing with them in the long run, just always remember they do pass.

5. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

It is never how you imagine it to be!

First couple of days tend to be ok - puppy is finding their feet so not quite themselves. Night time some can cry - it's better to be prepared so cage in your room, or puppy in your room to offer comfort until they settle and you can work on slowly introducing them to be ok alone. They'll wee and poop indoors - make sure you're prepared, get a good cleaning product to break down to urine or bio washing powder in water. They will likely have diarrhea - pro-kolin+ is a fab paste for helping with that. They'll likely chew or damage some of your stuff - again be prepared for it.

You'll have good days and bad days - tomorrow is a new day, was always my motto :D little snot cannot be a little snot forever, they do eventually sleep :Hilarious

Think it's a shock as you're sleep deprived, your entire routine has changed, you are trying to find a new one with managing a puppy and now you're responsible for a weeing, pooping, biting little destruction causing adorable thing :Hilarious

I have to say Lily was an awful puppy - for the first 6 months or so, I was simply holding on for dear life thinking I was raising a hell hound :Hilarious She turned out amazing! My best girl, so proud of her.

My new pup - not had him a week yet, he has been fab, very chill. Think someone has removed his batteries. Guess you never have two the same.

6. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

I think you will be great. It is hard and you do have moments (weeks) where you wonder why you did it but at the end of the day they are 100% worth it! :)

kimthecat, Doggo and tabelmabel like this.
  7. Doggo

Doggo PetForums Newbie

thanks for those responses, here's hoping things go to plan and i get my bundle of joy/poo/other unmentionables in the not too distant future!

( kimthecat sadly not but hey ho)

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

How exciting :)

I'm not really sure a behaviourist right from the get-go is necessary - puppy training is not rocket science, particularly if you stick around this place and glean some tips from the experienced members. There's lots of people who work from home or are home a lot and manage to raise well-adjusted puppies. It seems a little like over-kill. I would get into a good puppy class though when the time comes, as even if you don't need the training side of things, it's good for your puppy to practice being around distractions.

Of course if you're happy to fork out for a behaviourist that's fine, but you might find it more useful to save that cash for when your puppy hits the teenage stage! :)

I have terriers (Westie and Wheaten) and they're just the most brilliant characters. I can't imagine having anything else! :)

Sarah H, LinznMilly and Doggo like this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Whatever you plan for, the puppy gods will determine your puppy doesn't read the handbook and comes up with a brand new and imaginative way of pushing your buttons.

But there are always (a) sympathetic listeners or (b) people whose puppies probably have done the same thing here so stock up on chocolate or gin (or both) and we will help where we can.

In return for puppy pictures obviously.

Sarah H and LinznMilly like this.
  10. Doggo

Doggo PetForums Newbie

:D i'll hold you to that. and i would offer to share my chocolate in return for advice but oh, you live too far away. shame ;)

JoanneF and kimthecat like this.
  11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you're as prepared as you can be. Sorry to hear about your dad?

The thread/post to which you refer was written in a time of deep frustration, and it needed to be said. But. You did absolutely the right thing, concentrating on your dad and letting that pup slip through the proverbial net. That's responsible. You also look like you're waiting for a well bred dog at a time when hopefully things will have settled down. That post, whilst aimed at newbies, doesn't apply here.

I've never had a puppy myself, but many others have, and will be able to guide you through.

Welcome to the forum. We take payment in the form of puppy pics. :D ;)

Doggo, Sarah H and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice