Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Still panting

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Amber is still doing a lot of panting especially when pups are feeding. I know it has been warm and it's even warmer in box. Have checked her temp which was 38.3 so thats ok, she is still eating and drinking and taking good care of the pups.......Is this all normal......do you think its just the heat?
    At what stage do the pups not need the extra heat in the box?

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi Callie,im sure those who have bred will be along to advise you soon.It has been hot hasnt it,hopefully its just that.How are the pups doing? x

3. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

If she is only panting whilst nursing the pups, this is perfectly fine. Maisie's pups are 12 days old and she too pants when they are feeding. Although panting is one of the first signs of eclampsia, so keep an eye on her, if she starts to shiver get her to the vet there and then.

4. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

In this weather you probably don't need a heat pad. Check the temp of your room, you may need a fan to keep it cooler.

5. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

I had the same problem, my maisie panted all the time, more so then she was feeding her pups, her temp was high tho, vet put her on antibotics just in case of an infection and after 48hours the panting stopped. Just keep a close eye on her hunni xx

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I agree with the others. Just keep an eye on her for ANY character changes especially towards the pups, any shivering or stiffening of joints, lethargy etc. My gut tells me she's ok and its just the weather combined with being a new mum... Like the others though, if you are concerned a vet trip might be advised, even better if they can come to you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice