Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Still not housetrained .. no sign

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by the melster, Oct 9, 2013.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

OK so Biggles who is now 16 months old, is still pooing in the house. He is dry and will ask every time but will not ask for a poo. Whatever training I do stops him but as soon as I stop the training after weeks of being clear he goes back to pooing again. He is taken out regularly and if he does something I praise him like a nutter but I just don't know how to make him understand to ask to go for a poo????

I have just done a few weeks of tether training where he stayed tethered to me in a morning and after his food in the evening until he had done something outside. This worked for about 2 weeks after and then now he has just done a poo after being taken down 10 minutes before.

Any ideas as am feeling a huge failure with this and the ignore mess inside went out of the window this morning unfortunately !! I just don't know how to make him understand. Am going back to the tether from tonight but I HATE tether training as I've done it before with a foster.:confused:

2. the melster

Updating a thread with no replies is a bit sad lol

This has been one of the hardest things I have done when training a dog! Biggles came off his lead last Friday after completing 2 clear months on the long line and over 6 months in total. It has just suddenly seemed to have clicked with him and he is asking to go down.

I have to stress this is an 8ft lead which covers most of the lounge but no further. This was fastened to a crate in the lounge with a water dish clipped in and he travelled round clipped to me as well. He came off on his 2nd birthday :)

3. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Oh I never saw this thread before, but I'm glad you have made progress.

Just goes to show how all dogs is different!

4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff PetForums Senior

So all is good now? Well done. 16 months does seem like a very long battle, have you owned this dog since he was a pup or was he a rehome?

What breed is Biggles just out of interest?

Also I was wondering about expecting him to ask to go out - most dogs simply learn to hold on until presented with an opportunity to go out rather than asking unless desperate. If he is on a regular feeding schedule, his need to defecate should be reasonably predictable.

5. the melster

We had Biggles from 3 months as a foster. He is Shihtzu x Yorkie (allegedly). Have housetrained 7 dogs in the last three years but Biggles just did not get it. I have tried everything and the only thing that has worked is the tether training. It is really hard when this happens as the way it works is you follow the rules and at the end you have a house trained pup. But Biggles wasn't which I have to say I took as a personal failure as it has always worked. What do you do when it doesn't?! It has taken a long time but at last having stuck with it we are done :)

6. the melster

The asking to go out bit meant that Biggles have no clue he needed to go. We took him out after waking up, after food and at key points in between. He never came to us or showed any signs of needing to go. He would come up from being outside and go on the carpet.

7. Dogz85

Dogz85 PetForums Member

Do you let him know that it's not okay to poo in the house? I know you said you praise him when he goes outside but do you punish when he doesn't?

8. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

you should never punish a dog for toileting in the house, they dont understand they are being told off due to going inside just that they are being told of for toileting. this can lead to dogs hiding to do their business and makes toilet training even harder.

9. the melster

I have updated this thread to say that Biggles is now house trained and the method I used. Thanks for the advice but it is now not needed :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice