Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

still no baby hamsters?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by scrumpygirl, Aug 10, 2009.

1. scrumpygirl

scrumpygirl PetForums Newbie

i have two female syrian hamsters both are 8 months old and i have mated them both when they were on heat with a male syrian hamster 3 months old its now 17 days later and no babies have arrived?

please if anyone has any info to help me?

2. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

The usual gestation period for a syrian is 16-21 days... Although some can go longer than this

Are you sure they are pregnant?

3. scrumpygirl

hi thanks for getting back to me , i was told it was 16 days but thats helpfull that you have told me its 16 to 21 days, they have been acting skitish and have been sleeping alot, there bellys are bigger but not very big so to be honest i really dont know if they are?

4. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Sometimes they dont get really big until a day or two before the birth...
    Just make sure she has extra bedding, food and a constant supply of fresh water

Make sure the cage is kept in a quiet room with as little disturbance as possible..
    Do not touch the babies until they are at least 10 days old and are starting to wander around the cage by themselves...
    If you get your scent on them before this time then the mother can abandon or even kill the babies

Welcome to pet forums btw

5. scrumpygirl

so theres still hope that they are pregnant, thanks for your help

6. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

7. scrumpygirl

thanks and will add pics , but it says on this site that they will have babies by 16 days if they dont by 18 days then a vet is advised?

8. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I know but they all say different...
    It usually is up to 21 days though
    If she's well in herself and still eating and drinking as normal then she is probably fine

9. scrumpygirl

thanks so many people say different things its so confusing, thanks for your help and will let you know if we have any babies x

10. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i breed syrians myself. the first litter of my current syrian was born on the 16th day of gestation and the second ws born on the 15th day.

could it be possible that they have had them and you havnt noticed and so they have killed the babies. this could be quite possible as they will leave no sign what so ever that there was babies there, there wont even be blood around.

are you positive on their ages ?? as syrians usually go infertile at the ago of 10-12 months

have you used the male in the past as it may be possible that he is infertile.

11. scrumpygirl

hi its not very possible that they have had them and killed them as i have checked the cage 4 times a day, but yes it could be possible that the females are not fertiale anymore, the male has never mated before this was his first time so im not sure.

12. scrumpygirl

they are definitly 8 months old just checked my calender, i just dont get it coz i mated them both i thought at least one of them would be pregnant?

13. ....zoe....

one thing, if you are going to be checking the nests that often then they are going to kill the babies if they end up having them. you need to leave them alone.

have you ever breed them before ?

what are your reasons for breeding the two of them ??

how long did you leave them with the male when you mated them ?

have you been weighing them, this is a good idea to do as it gives you an idea of wether they arer or not.

i personally would prob take them to the vets soon just to make sure as really they go infertile at about 10-12 months so they shouldnt be yet. and its very rare for a male to be infertile to be honest.

14. scrumpygirl

i have not breed before, but have had two hamsters that were pregnant when i brought them from pet shop so i know about the babbies just not that much on pregnancy.

i left them with the male for 15 to 20 mins,

no i have not been weighing them,

they are ment to be in heat now but they are not, they both have biggish bellys and one of them has discarge,

they both have been skitish and sleeping loads,

its been 18 days now they shuld of had them by now.

i thought at least one of them wuld of been pregnant.

15. ....zoe....

the one that has discharge ? what discharge is it and where from ?

i think it may be good to take them to the vets as there could be something wrong

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice