Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

still jumpy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by considerthis, Sep 30, 2013.

1. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

I've had this girl about 20 months, the vet thinks she is between 4 and 6 years old, I was given no background or history with her, she is a lovely lady, very good with children and disabled people. She's still a little unsure of some men but that's a huge difference from when I first got her. She is still quite nervous most of the time but even when she seems relaxed she still flinches when you touch her. I've tried being slow or waiting till she fully acknowledges I'm going to pat her and the flinches feel shallow but they are still there. And sometimes she looks at me so apprehensively like I'm going to do something to her, can anyone else who has had a rescue dog tell me if this will eventually go?

#1 considerthis, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Many dogs do not like patting, they prefer stroking.

Some dogs do not like body contact at all.

If she does not like it, do not do it, then it will stop. Simples.

3. considerthis

Oh but she does like, 8 Times out of 10 she initiates it. She lives off cuddles and kisses. But she looks so afraid sometimes.

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

If she loves it so much, why does she flinch then? :confused:

5. considerthis

I don't know, as I said in the previous post, I was given no history for her so I don't know what she's been through. I simply ask if anyone has been through something similar. Simples

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Correct...................

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice