Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Still having probs with food.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Maiisiku, May 31, 2010.

1. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

After trying Bailey with Bozita for 3 months she stopped eating it. I have now tried her on purley, natures menu and applaws. She seems to eat some of it but not a huge amount. She does have a small bowl of dry. So do I stop the dry and see if she'll eat the wet? I really want to encourage her to eat wet but I don't want to make her misrable by taking away all the dry food.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You say that you leave out a small bowl of dry. Do you ever weigh it? Could it be that the "small" bowl actually contains all the food that a cat her weight needs and that is why she gives wet food a cold shoulder? With some foods, only a handful of food is enough to cover the daily dietary intake for an average cat.

If you really want her to eat wet, then yes, I would ditch any dry for the moment. Give her a complete, high-quality food (I know you have tried Bozita, purely and applaws). Have you tried Feline Fayre (black pouches)? Many cats love that food.

If you only want to feed wet then it is important that you make sure you are not accidentally feeding the treat foods (applaws, almo nature, shiny cat, feline fayre blue satches etc). They do not contain all the vitamins and minerals a cat needs (well, unfortunately they say that all the vits and minerals are preserved in their fillet food but a cat derives a lot of vit and minerals not from cooked fillet food. Also, any info about their content is curiously absent from their analyses).

Does she like fish? Could you entice her to eat more wet by sprinkling some salmon oil on top or some tuna juice? You can get beef/ox fat powder that a lot of cats love to stimulate the appetite. If your cats loves cheese, you could also try a bit of grated parmesan on top to see whether that will make her eat the wet. Or brewer yeast flakes - they are also a great way to make food more palatable.

#2 hobbs2004, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I did stop the dry. She has been eatting the applaws and then I put a bit of dry, like a handful down for her at night. She doesn't like fish very much it seems and she won't eat purley even if it's all you put down. She will take bites of natures menu. I guess I'll call cats protection again to take the left over stuff she won't eat >.>

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ok - I think since your cat likes applaws I would try feline fayre (black pouches) or Tesco finest. It is in consistency similar to applaws but they are complete foods. You can also only buy single pouches I believe.

5. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

So far the only foods shes eaten for me is Applaws pouches and tins, wiskas sometimes and felix which I really don't want her eating if I can help it. She will eat Encore too. I can try tesco when I do my next shopping there. But where would I get Feline Fayre from?

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I believe that you can get feline fayre from asda or morrisons.

7. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Alright. I put down some natures menu beef flavour and she seemed to like it. She ate some and then when I left the kitchen she walked off. I think she's flavour picky. I think she doesn't like fish. The Purley I got her was sardines, ocean food and tuna.

8. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Have you tried HiLife yet?

They do a few varieties, with different textures. The petit pate and the 60%varieties are both complete, one is pate (obviously), the other is chunky but not "real" looking like applaws. I haven't tried the other versions so I'm not sure about texture - I believe essentials are complete, but perfection is only complementary. Various non-fish varieties available.

9. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

She will eat pate if it's all I give her but I think she prefers 'real' meat as she tends to eat more of it. It's not an ideal situation as these tend to be a bit more expensive and I'm on a very tight budget inbetween switching courses atm. But since I have applaws I'm going to give her a hand full of the compleate dry at night which she gets though fast and then 1-2 meals depending on how much she eats of the applaws.

I'll try the tescos finest when I do my shoping. I might try Hilife too if I have no joy. But I don't really want to chop and change too much just find something she'll eat and stick to it. If the dry/wet mix works with just a smaller portion of dry (I was giving her half a bowl) than I might stick to that. The thing is although she's a year she's a lot smaller than most cats at that age. She's a lot bigger than when we first got her but she's still a little on the small size. So she might not need as much as the 'recomendations' on the box. As long as she doesn't seem hungry and believe me she'd soon let me know, I'll stick with it.

She's pretty good at letting me know if she wants to be fed as she will come and rub her head on my leg and then run into the kitchen and meow at the food cuboard lol. Smart cat imo :D

We'll see how she goes with the diffirent 'complete' wet foods.

10. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I stopped dry with my kitten until she started eating wet food at regular times and it worked.
    I also am probably not supposed to mix brands? Not sure but I do. I don't want her to become reliant on one brand.
    I tend to stick with chicken, beef, duck, lamb but she prefers chicken. Whenever I have given her fish products sieh either leaves them or gets the runs - not sure what all that is about!

I buy the Gormet tins, Hi-life tins and sometimes tesco finest. She prefers the flakes of chicken with no jelly or gravy on them, but I also give pate's and jelly/gravy ones and now she eats them. Her poo never smells either which is so much better, and is solid. I only feed her morning and early evening now, but she has dry out inbetween. I have noticed that now she is keener to eat the wet food prefering it over the dry definately, but it took a bit of time! I leave more down overnight than in the day and now never have to throw any away

11. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I have noticed a diffirence with her. I am pretty sure she doesn't really like the Purley so I'm not going to bother with fish flavors as I don't think she likes them. It was the same with bozita she wouldn't touch the fish flavoured ones but she'd eat chicken, rabbit etc. But then she stopped eating them all together.

12. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Thanks guys for helping. Problem is now resolved.
    Bailey is having 1-2 wet meals of applaws a day and then a medium sized helping of purley dry at night. That way she eats the dry over the night and will eat her wet in the day. So she gets what she likes and she gets what I want her to have for her health. She's been eating the pate too which I'm glad it's getting used up! But she still doesn't like the Purley tins as she doesn't like fish flavour :D

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Excellent - glad you found a solution! :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice