Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stiff back legs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Conni, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Conni

Conni PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I have a one year old collie bitch. She is a very healthy and active dog. The last few evenings we've noticed that when she has been asleep and then gets up, her back legs seem stiff and she limps for a while. Its only for a short time, and shes fine the rest of the time but I'm just a little concerned about it.

Shes going in for her spay next week so I'll mention it to the vet but just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its hard to say, could be anything from an injury, soft tissue or joints to something more serious. Deffinately mention it to the vet, he can then do a full
    orthopaedic exam before they give her the pre med or put her under or administer any pain relief that would likely throw off the examination, that way he can check for pain response and with manipulation and extension check the movement of the joints etc. If he does then think there is anything that needs investigation, they can x ray her while she is put out for the spay.

I had one of mines hips xrayed when she had her spay as she had an odd rear gait, turned out nothing to be worried about and her hips were fine, she was the same age as her.
    Although insurance doesnt pay for routine spay operations, my insurance did pay for the xrays, so ideal time to get it checked out really.

3. Conni

Conni PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely speak to the vet about it.

Do you think its possible for a border collie to get too much exercise and do you think that could have something to do with it? Shes at doggy day care 5 days a week at the moment for various reasons, shes running around constantly for around 8 hours a day. She is absolutely shattered when she comes home although she really loves going. (Although if she was a working collie she would also be running around all day!)

4. Sled dog hotel

With pups when they are at the rapid stage of growth especially you usually have to be careful that you dont over do the exercise. A lot of this is because the growth plates can be fragile and can be traumatised and because of the joints. Different growth plates close at various times, but by a year old its thought that the average dogs have all closed although large and giant breeds can take longer.

There can be juvenile bone and joint problems that can be quite painful, but often the dog grows out of it literally, not sure if its known in the Border Collie though. It could even be something like that. Border collies can have hip problems, but as it could be so many things it would be silly to start speculating about what it might and might not be at and worrying at the moment.

The vet should have an idea possibly on orthopaedic exam and watching her walk that can often give an indication if it might be anything, and as said if shes being given a general anaesthetic anyway to be spayed then it will be easy enough just to do an x ray to make doubly sure if he thinks one might be needed.

5. Conni

Conni PetForums Newbie

Thanks again for your reply. I'll speak to the vet on Thursday.

6. Sled dog hotel

Hope everything is OK, let us know how she gets on.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The working collies I know spend most of their time kennelled, tied out or crated in the back of a van. Sheep don't need herding/moving every day, just every few days and then it only takes half an hour or so to move them. The farm collies' main job is to bark if anyone strange comes onto the premises.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice