Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sticky substance in cat fur

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Josephine3, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Josephine3

Josephine3 PetForums Newbie

5C444E1D-09A0-4D2F-AC7E-A9F40A97174C.jpeg FB4D5258-C6DB-4E1E-A72F-3C887756C735.jpeg I have 2 cats. A couple of months ago one came back with one front leg all stuck up with a sticky substance- she had damaged her tongue overnight licking whatever it was. I took her to the vet and she was sedated and cleaned up and tested for toxic poisoning. She was fine the next day. However my other cat has turned up with EXACTLY the same problem this morning- I have tried to remove it with olive oil, followed bu fairy liquid and then a bath. She is very stressed and I think her mouth is also sore from all the licking. I have given her a dose of the painkiller the vet prescribed last time and I will obviously keep a close watch on her BUT Does anyone know what it is? I am certain it is nothing in my house or garden.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Josephine3 and welcome :)

I'm sorry I have no idea what the sticky substance could be. In theory it could be almost anything!

What did the vet think it was when you had it removed from your other cat's fur?

Does the stuff smell of anything? e.g. a chemical smell ? [I can't see it being anti-freeze because your cats would likely have become very ill if they'd licked that off their fur.]

Have you tactfully asked any of your neighbours for ideas as to what it might be?

My advice would to consider cat-proofing your garden to keep your cats safe from such things. Maybe have a look at the pinned thread on the topic of cat enclosures and cat proofed gardens.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

buffie and lorilu like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice