Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sticky for Pregnant Moggies: Round 2

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Gratch, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

After a generally negative outlook when I suggested a thread to be stickied dealing with the issues around and involving moggie pregnancy I eventually ended up gathering info to do this myself although there has been an offer of help from another member who is currently busy. In another thread it was hinted that this is already being written by someone else. As it will be public eventually, may I enquire as to who is doing it? I would love to offer my assistance in this project as it's something that I feel will be strongly beneficial. Thanks!

2. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I'll help you all I can once I have my degree work submitted (May 5th - getting frighteningly close :eek: )

Liz

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

after reading the other comments such as 'moggie breeding it will happen get over it' etc

maybe there isnt much point? Ive already written a thread about neutering, but obviously no one reads it lol!

4. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Aye liz you were who I was referring to :) It appears someone else has taken it upon themselves and I'm curious as to who it is and to whether they would accept assistance. Good luck with your work :D

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I think the problem is that they are beyond the point of neutering really when they come here, most come when their cats are 6+ weeks pregnant and already know they are keeping them. This doesn't mean that neutering won't be very much involved in the thread :) Well, dpeending on who comes out with the finished product I guess!

6. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

I read it lol and we will absolutely be getting ours done :)

Gill x

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

aww thanks :eek: After talking to our kitten new owners we send them that plus 2 other emails, with how our kittens are raised, food & toys, then FAQ's which details everything you ever need to know lol :D took me a good few months to do it adding to it along the way, everyone likes it though lol kitten bible!! :lol:

8. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Thank you - the more I do the more there still seems to be to do aaaagh!

Liz

9. I really dont see any point! Sorry.

Not like newbies who come on for "advice" look through stick threads, they just post their own. Then run when it doesnt go their way OR stick around and fling poo.....

Gratch you are one of a few who admitted fault, and stuck around. Many dont because they think its fine because their is a market for moggies the issue is the market is full!

Reminds me of a poem I wrote yesterday.....

Granted not all breed for money....some breed for cute kittens others accidently but keep the kittens. But you get the drift.

10. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Aye, but someone else is already doing it :p I still personally agree with it and will be going ahead either way, thankfully with the support of lizward when she has time but 3 heads are better than one or however many people are involved already in it. Again I just want to offer my assistance as I felt so strongly about it I would hate to be left out of the project!

11. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Wow, Liz, that's getting mighty close. Good luck!

12. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Well if someone else is giving it a go run they're certainly not coming forward here. Maybe they feel they have sufficient knowledge to write it alone. I'm sure they do, it's mostly common sense and responsibility.

I don't think it needs to be a giant group task. There are views and opinions and then there are facts. As long as the facts go in, I'm happy. I know the majority of people will be happier with this mystery writer.

The right people should write it. Not just those who decide they want to, in my opinion. It's too much of an important subject to let amateurs and people who hold emotional views, which are fine on their own, but are at against what others hold to be true. I wouldn't support the thread unless I agreed 100% with what was written.

13. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Maybe rather that focussing on Moggies why not do a post on the issues of breeding, the risks, the health tests, blood types, what you should do every step of the way of the pregnancy, what you should do during the birth, experiences of when things go wrong, hands on advice.

Choosing a stud

Then you could discuss the rescue situation and tie in the "Cat suitable to be bred from"

If you don't aim it at specifically moggies, but at the general cat breeding issues its more likely to be stickied and less likely to cause friction :)

14. I agree. If its wrote by someone who believes spaying a pregnant cat is "murder" then can it be un-biest about the situation?

Many people who come on the forum have pregnant cats that are still at a stage were spaying is possible. And I know many people who didnt know vets could spay while pregnant.

15. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

And I have a terrible feeling it will be subjective rather than objective which I feel will be confirmed if the other person doesn't wish to come forward. As far as I'm concerned though, it was my brainchild and it is something I would like to see written in the right tone, not condoning but not crucifying either. Anyway, work from 2pm - 10pm, hopefully this will still be here when I'm back.

16. I know it sounds daft but if it was up to me I would appoint Aurelia to write it.
    Shes level headed about spaying and I have also seen some fantastic advice given by her once pregnancy is to far along for spaying.

Yes she is very full on about the rights and wrongs of breeding from not only moggies but unethical breeding. But I also cant think of anyone better. She has a modern outlook not a dated one, nor does she compare human pregnancy and animal pregnancy.

I also agree with Tanya, a complete guide to cat breeding is a good idea. A thread just aimed at moggie breeding may:

1) get over looked.
    2) give the wrong impression that moggie breeding is a good thing and should be done plenty.

I also think that the thread itself should be linked up with Taylors spaying thread.

17. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I think I agree, Tanya. But I seem to recall that Gratch wanted to pull it together very much for the moggie owner in mind. I'll have to paraphrase a previous post of Gratch's but it went something like - The why's and wherefore's of why you should spay your cat. You haven't spayed your cat and it's been let out accidentally and mated? Then read on... your vet will still perform a very early (possible) pregnancy spay. You don't want to do that? OK, well, read on, here's what you need to do.

It seems to me to be making a very clear distinction between the responsibilities of the (ethical) pedigree breeder and those with the accidentally (or intentionally) pregnant moggie. I think a lot of the more experienced breeders/pet owners here are, rightly or wrongly, reluctant to contribute because they feel it condones what they believe to be a long string of needless (in this day and age) irresponsible actions up to the point where the cat is half way to having its kittens.

But I do applaud Gratch for her tenacity in wanting to get it done and I do genuinely hope that the result is put to good use as a sticky if its written in the 'right' way. But the 'right' way is so subjective which is why I think poor Gratch is getting an ear bashing :)

18. gloworm*mushroom

I don't agree that having an idea makes you qualified to write it or even judge who can and can't write it.

I feel there are many people much better placed to write it, and if they choose to write it, I will support it.

The stickies are there to send people to for information, and the authors are seen as authority figures. Based on previous posts I would not be comfortable with a sticky authored by you, though I doubt a moggy breeding sticky will happen.

19. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Am I right in thinking that the OP had an "oops litter" with a Moggie? Maybe she could team up with an experienced breeder (who knows the science and medicine behind it all) and write something together.

If I was right in thinking she had an oops litter then she will have the valid information about that affected her eg the ear bashing I'm sure she will have got, the fact that she would have no idea if the kittens were on target, the risks she had with unknown blood grouping, Cat STDs, any difficulties selling moggy kittens or ensuring that they cannot be bred from in the future by their new owners, taking liability for any genetic problems which may occur etc etc

20. gloworm*mushroom

Tanya: not just an oops litter, but a continued disregard for advice since then, hence my disdain.

The sticky should say weigh everyday for first 8 weeks (or something like that, I dont breed) so someone reading it will look, possibly at Gratchs old posts and see she stopped weighing at 1.5 weeks as it stressed her too much...

I would have no respect for the advice given in such a sticky if the OP itself did not abide by the advice, hence wanting a responsible person to write it if it did ever come about. Surely as s mod you can see the issue with a sticky dishing out advice which is contradicted by the ops actions??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice