Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sticks ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 19, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Do you throw sticks for your dogs and let them run with them in their mouths ?

It's one thing I never allow my dogs to do and I would never throw sticks for them,after hearing so many horror stories and the injuries to dogs have been horriffic.

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Never ive heard of lots of horror stories too

3. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I don't throw sricks for Shen, but he's a right wotsit for finding his own. He won't give them up and then tries to turn it into a game of catch me catch me.

I usually pretend to throw something else so he drops the stick and runs off.

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

No never, Mine do have a chew of them when they're at work with me but they don't run round with them:)

5. no I dont through sticks. Only tennis balls.

6. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

even tennis balls scare me, a friend of mine had a german shepard dog a few years ago and used to throw a ball for him, they were in the park and the dog charged after the ball when it was still bouncing and grabbed it to quick, it got stuck in his throat and sadly she couldnt get it out:eek:hmy:
    so no i dont throw sticks and if playing with a ball, keep the dog next to me unitl i know the ball will have rested on the floor by time the dog gets to it.

7. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

The only time I throw sticks for mine is when they are retrieving them from the water :)

8. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

No never. A friend's SBT died after chasing a stick :(

9. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i never throw sticks for him. but he insists on carrying them when we are out walking. he has an obsession about carrying things, usually sticks or pine cones. i dont mind him carrying them but would never throw them for him.

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I throw tennis balls and Sky's teething ring.

My two refuse to carry anything in their mouths.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I used to until Oscar damaged the roof of his mouth and popped his tonsil out.

Now he plays with a rubber ring. If i forget it, then he grabs every stick/tree/branch/sapling available. I just walk off and ignore him, if i try and make him leave it, its turns into a game with him and get starts whipping it or himself from side to side. I rarely forget his toy fortunatly.

Alfie wont play outside of the house.

12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

No I only throw tennis balls. Too many horror stories about sticks.

13. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i used to in the garden, now we dont have any sticks in the garden so i throw toys lol

On walks they are not interested in retrieving anything so no point even throwing a stick or toy....

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I do and will continue to throw sticks. I know what can happen, but I reckon the risk is outweighed by the exercise and fun my dog gets. I am always careful to throw them like a discus so they land flat on the ground. Throwing them overarm so they can land wih one end stuck in the ground is dangerous.
    If I take a ball out, she will dump it in favour of a stick anyway.

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I discourage mine from having sticks. Dave will pick up little sticks when he rests and rip them up and spit it out but I always make him leave it and have a toy instead.

When I used to go to my dads there lab used to carry sticks, great big long ones I always had bruises on the back of my legs! Lol

And when I was on work experience at the vets a dog got rushed in because he had been playing with a stick and when he went to pick it up a big bit had splintered but he didn't notice it, just grabbed the stick and it went right through the back of his mouth, he nearly died.

I Never Ever take risks with my dogs, they are too precious to me. If I hear of something that there is a chance it could harm them, I won't do it.
    Same with throwing stones for them. My dads old staff x nearly died because he got a stone wedged in the back of his mouth.

x

16. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

No i wont throw sticks for Bracken, but he is terrible for finding them, althought there are huge ones like 4-6 foot ones:eek: and will just play a while on the grass with them, pulling up the grass more than playing with stick:eek:ut: I however do have one of them KONG sticks for in the garden which he loves to play with, this is a great safe alternative to sticks.

17. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Nope, no stick throwing here. Although as already mentioned, Labs are prone to finding the largest stick possible and bruising the back of your legs with them.

I usually carry tennis balls at least to throw for mine, if I've ever forgotten to take something out with me, I knot up their lead and make that into a retrieve article for them.

18. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I wont play sticks since a friend used to and the dog caught it point first, luckily the dog survived but had to have loads of op-s to repair the damage and found eating hard thing difficult for the rest of her life. I only ever use ball on rope in the hope that if they swallow the ball the rope will be hanging out so i can pull it out quickly.Also i can throw it further but they have to watch my aim isn't that good
    Think i might be over cautious even though the cavs are too bone lazy to chase anything

19. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

No, absolutely not

Barney had to have splinters removed from his mouth and throat, a few years ago so we soon stopped.

20. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Pippin isnt really interested in sticks thankfully.

I wouldnt do it anyway in case she did hurt herself, plenty of other things she can play with!

She does like to chew leaves though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice