Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stick Insects

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by angelsar, Dec 27, 2007.

1. angelsar

angelsar PetForums Newbie

Hi, i've just purchased 4 Parapachymorpha zomproi nymphs (Thai stick insects). I have being doing all the research I can to make their existence as comfortable as possible. Unfortunately, some say that they only eat bramble and others say bramble, oak, rose, privet, ivy, even lettuce. What can I feed them to ensure they grow to healthy egg laying adults?

2. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

We feed ours on bramble or privet and spray the vegetation every day as well. I was surprised how fast they grow. We have only got 2 and there are no eggs as yet so perhaps we need some more:)

3. claire

claire Guest

its some years since i had stick insects but i fed mine privet as for them laying eggs mine laid loads but none ever hatched

4. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

Only a few stick insect species (the common Indian stick insect and the Peruvian Black stick insect) eat privet, most of the others only eat bramble leaves. This question keeps cropping up on the "Ask Professor Phasmid" page ( a Question and Answer page mainly about stick insects) on the website Small-Life Supplies for stick insects and cages)

5. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Hi i used to keep these as a child until one day,at school i looked at one under a microscope:eek::eek::eek:they looked really creepy with big teeth:eek:never held one again:D

6. Acrophylla

Stick insects don't have teeth - what you saw must have been their mandibles.

7. Taz Devil

Taz Devil PetForums Member

The following species are known to eat Privet if you are finding it difficult to get Bramble:-

Carausius morosus
    Pseudophasma rufipes
    Pseudophasma bispinosum
    Anisomorpha paromalus
    Malacomorpha jamaicana
    Malacomorpha cyllarum
    Bacteria ferula
    Pseudophasma menius
    Stheneboea repudiosa
    Pseudophasma velutinum
    Pseudophasma castaneum
    Peruphasma schultei
    Lonchodes philippinicus

petforum likes this.
  8. Acrophylla

People should be careful about keeping the privet-eating stick insects that spray chemicals because these can cause breathing problems in people and dogs! Indian stick insects (Carausius morosus) do not do this but there are dangerous ones out there, including at least two on your list Taz! I don't think the dangerous ones should be sold as pets. The topic of dangerous stick insects keeps cropping up on Small-Life Supplies for stick insects and cages on the "Ask Professor Phasmid" page. There are lots of safe types of stick insect to keep and so why put yourself and your other pets at risk?

9. Taz Devil

Taz Devil PetForums Member

Are you an affiliate for this site because you have quoted them 3 times as far as I can see and as the site is a commercial site then I would say this is advertising. If you need information about stick insects then the best place to go is the Phasmid Study Group site, these are the people that keep, breed and study hundreds of Phasmid Species.

The list I gave may contain some that spray. But all I did was list the Phasmids that eat privet.

For more information and help users could try any of these sites:-
    The Insect Store Phasmid Boards (Yes I am a member of this site)
    The Phasmid Study Group
    Phasmania
    Phasmatania
    Bugs in Cyberspace

hope this helps

10. bugboyjoshsmum

bugboyjoshsmum PetForums Newbie

My son has had two bud wings (Phaenopharos khaoyaiensis) since September they are both laying eggs. Do I have to do anything special to the eggs to get them to hatch? I have left some in the bottom of the tank on the bark chipping floor and I also have some in the airing cupboard.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thank you:)

11. Acrophylla

I always keep my stick insect eggs in a separate container. I find it best to lightly mist the Phenaphorus eggs with water, but only very lightly becuase too much water makes them go mouldy!:crazy:

12. PetKid

PetKid PetForums Newbie

I Have Six Common Stick Insects And My Step-Mum Had Two Indian Stick Insects And the Like Branchs of privet rapped at the bottom ith a wet tissue and wrap that in cling film so it stays fresh they like to eat it and climb on it also they eat Ivy So Yours Should Do The Same Lol Good Luck (What are There Names?):biggrin:

13. posiedon

posiedon PetForums Newbie

#13 posiedon, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  14. posiedon

posiedon PetForums Newbie

I read somewhere you keep the eggs in the same conditions as the adult and sprag every 5 days to keep it slightly moist

15. just a zoologist

just a zoologist PetForums Junior

sorry i dont know but i think from my point of view if you feed them Bramble they will eat it

16. emma360

emma360 PetForums Newbie

Hi I have just joined this site , I cant find the thread which originally got me to join but I will ask a couple of questions if ok , I read on here today that there are some type of stick insects that are in the wild ( I live in Cornwall) today I found what I think I a baby stick insect on my car window in was parked near a bush I think it was there its about a inch long , and bright green , it wobbles from side to side but only did it once , - its tiny !! How is best to look after it ? Anyone know what type it could be ? Or is just a normal garden bug xx

AnneMarie Thomson likes this.
  17. AnneMarie Thomson

AnneMarie Thomson PetForums Junior

Sounds very much like a baby stickie!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice