Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Stick insects for sale

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Specs, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Specs

Specs PetForums Junior

I was looking for some stick insects for sale the other day and was surprised how people seem to be selling what I thought were dangerous stick insects. Anything that has really bright colouring is usually dangerous or gives out a nasty spray. I know from past experience that Small-Life Supplies only sells safe stick insects, so I'll probably get some Thailands from there, https://small-life.co.uk/page5.html

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

The spray from sticks such as Oreopheotus peruana, Psuedophasma Schulteii etc is not that harmful, especially if you make sure you wash your hands afterwards. They only spray if they feel threatened so care when handling them should be standard.

I personally would be more concerned about species such as male Diapherodes gigantea and male Eurycantha calcarata with their large spurs on their thighs when mature.

But in the grand scheme of things, I dont think any stick insects are truly dangerous to humans.

3. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

There is a very dangerous stick insect that comes from Florida . It is the Anisomorpha buprestoides species. If that squirts you in the eye, you are temporarily blinded!! Definitely one to avoid!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice