UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, we recently got some stick insects and we're having some trouble identifying them and so having some trouble looking after them. they have grown really fast and we have found several shed skins so we are doing something right and they are obviously healthy but I'd like to know what their eggs look like and exactly how to look after them. I've attached some pics so if anyone can help that would be brilliant, thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Acrophylla thanks for the ID. I know this may seem like daft questions but how do you tell males from females? what do the eggs look like? do they need sand or peat free compost or something else in the bottom of the cage? how long do they live? ... the more you can tell me about these the better. I'm looking them up but only finding where to buy them from and not a lot of info on their upkeep

Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your photos are of females; they have a long ovipositor (pointed bit) at the end of their bodies which they use to bury their eggs in sand. It's best to line the floor of the cage with paper and put a dish of dry sand in there for them to bury there eggs in. They live about one year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another big help Acrophylla, thanks. How often do they lay eggs and how long do they take to hatch? I found some info on them but they were talking about L3/ L$? any ideas what that could be? is it something to do with them shedding their skin?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.