Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stevie has flystrike

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by srhdufe, Jun 4, 2010.

1. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I have been cleaning his cage out more often since his op as the vet said his immune system will still be low from the op he had

Anyways...

All was fine yesterday when i cleaned him out, yet this morning i noticed maggots on his litter tray. I picked him up and noticed a maggot on him, which i took off and went straight to the main branch of the vets.

She got a couple more maggots off and has put him on some meds. She's keeping him in overnight. She said i have managed to catch it very quickly, which i guess is a good thing

She had the cheek to lecture me on how to look after them properly. Surely they should know they are all looked after properly and that i do check them :confused:: :frown:

My poor baby. Hasn't he been through enough? :frown:

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Poor thing :(. Hopefully he'll be ok

3. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Poor lad...though if you had taken him to the vet...what more were you have supposed to have done?

I went to The Range the other day...not sure if you have one near you...but if you do they do small animal insecticides...including one called Flystrike! Mine are in my shed...but in this weather the shed gets quite humid during the day...so Ive had some flies...though not seen any maggots thank goodness!! Anyways...particularly while his immune is low it might be worth it...it's only a couple of quid!

Good luck and get well soon Stevie!!!

xx

4. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I use rearguard

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Oh no, poor Stevie :frown: At least you caught it quick enough, what more does you vet want:confused1: I mean in this weather any rabbit is at risk of flystrike :scared:
    I hope he is going to be ok hun :001_unsure:

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Many people (some vets included) are of the opinion that flystrike is cause by poor animal husbandry.

Sadly it can happen to anyone and any bun, and your vet is obviously ignorant to this fact.

I hope he's feeling better soon and don't beat yourself up about it.

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

:( poor boy! please dont let them make u feel like it was your fault. well done for catching it so soon. maybe it would be best to put some netting up over his hutch so the buggers cant get in.

8. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery soon and like whats already been said well done for catching it as soon as you did! Keep us updated!

9. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

He is doing well today. He is back home as the vet doesnt work sundays and i didnt want him to be all alone

He's eating a bit (mainly hay) which i guess is a good sign. He wont touch his carrot or pear tho (his fave things)
    I really hope he pulls through. His bottom is all bare now, bless him. At least he wont be cold in this weather ;)

10. helebelina

helebelina PetForums Senior

Aw, poor bun bun! Sending lots of healing vibes your way. And feel proud of yourself that you caught it so quick. You're a proper good bunny mummy :thumbup:

11. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

awww poor thing :( hope he is ok

12. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hope he is better soon, :)

13. Weim<3

Weim<3 Banned

Poor little bun :(

I had a beautiful bun 3 years ago that was a victim of flystrike. We went away on holiday for, i think, was 5 days during the summer. We had neighbors in to check and feed my two girls.
    We came home to my usual two bunnies but the next morning, the mummy one, Rio, was sprawled on her back, absolutely infested. The litlun was absolutely fine, Rio's dewlap prevented her from cleaning herself making her more septable i suppose :(
    Thank god you found Stevie in time, we were a little too late :(

I will never forget that moment I found her, never stop blaming myself for not protecting her with flyguard. But now its an essential thing that we make sure our two girls have.

Good luck x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice