Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

steroids

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sonia123, Oct 13, 2013.

1. sonia123

sonia123 PetForums Member

Hi all just wondering if someone could help a query I have with steroids for dogs.was just wondering if any of you know how long steroids take to get out of a dogs system.any help would be much appreciated

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It depends a lot on how long they have been on them and how they are given, Ive had one steroid injection given and been told it should be out of the system in about 4 days, but have found that this is when the side effects like increased thirst and hunger, excessive peeing etc has started and gone on for about a week or so.

If he is on longer term steroids you cant stop them immediately they have to be tapered off.

Steroids in too high doses or for two long can cause a condition called iantrogenic cushings disease, as it messes with the pituitary glands production of ACTH and the adrenals natural cortisol production. This is one of the reasons why they cant be just stopped and have to be tapered off slowly. If the dog gets veterinary induced iantrogenic cushings disease, it will take a time for the pituitary production of ACTH and the adrenals natural normal production of cortisol to start working again properly. So if he has been on them for a good while that's why you might still be getting the symptoms of increased thirst and hunger, increased urination and panting etc.
    Once off them long enough and the adrenals recover it should stop as usually it is reversible.

3. sonia123

He only had a 3 week course of 5mg and ive beem tapering him off them for a week he has his last tablet tonight so wanted to know how long it would take for them to get out of his system

4. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

as he only had them for a short time and the last week every other day about 36 hours

5. sonia123

Thankyou wild moor im glad they wont take too long to get out of his system cos there nothing but a nightmare

6. westieowner

westieowner PetForums Junior

I'm glad your dog is off steroids! My westie was prescribed them for his chest. The vet recommended my dog stay on them because he was panting a lot and she thought this was the chest problem. I now realise that it was possibly a side effect of the steroids. My dog put on a lot of weight... a side effect of steroids and eventually became diabetic... another side effect of steroids. Finally my poor dog became blind and I was told that that was a side effect of becoming diabetic. If I had my time again I would have never have allowed him to be on steroids. I also wish I had visited another vet!

7. sonia123

Yeah I would never let them give me steroids again there are a nightmare for me but even worse for my dog.he was given them for a sore foot inbetween his toes it was really red and swollen due to him licking and biting it but I think they gave me far to many steroids just for a sore foot.they gave me a 3 week course but his foot had cleared up after the first week of him being on then so je was on them an extra 2 weeks for nothing

8. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

My itchy dog was put on steroids years ago and they are terrible things altogether. They whack out the immune system and the itching stops while the dog is taking them only to flare up even worse when they are withdrawn....thats what happened in my case anyway. Also my lovely mild mannered affectionate little boy became a moody almost aggressive dog when he was on them. They changed his personality. Anyway I manage his itching now with diet and different types of supplements - salmon oil, coconut oil, probiotics to name some and he is great. Wish vets wouldnt hand out these drugs as the first option for skin issues. Dont go to that vet anymore either.

9. Sled dog hotel

In certain cases steroids can have their uses in fact in certain conditions they are often your only choice, but sometimes IMO they are over prescribed for too mundane things.

Steroids if used should always be at the lowest possible effective dose and for the shortest amount of time possible.

10. Madame Bluebell

Madame Bluebell PetForums Junior

I have to agree with you there Sled, I feel my pup was given them too easy hense why I a stopping them.
    I just thank goodness I found this forum that has shown me there are natural remedies you can try before drugs.:thumbup1:

11. sonia123

I will certainly not give him steroids again I will try something else for his foot if he ever gets it again.

12. MRogers

MRogers PetForums Newbie

Hi - sorry to join in at this late stage as only just starting reading your posts. I'm quite interested in your reviews as my 18 month old Westie is on Atopica now due to excessive itching, biting and hair loss. The vet said if these don't work, the next and last option are steroids but I've heard these aren't so good for the dog.

He's on allergy injections, I feed him a natural immune booster, I've changed his diet, I've put him on a natural flea killer rather than Advocate as I thought that might be irritating him too.

Any other suggestions pls?? The Atopica tablets are £50 for 15!! x

13. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

prednisalone is the only medication my Atopic dog could tollerate he was on them years with 6 monthly blood tests, his blood tests came back clear (no organ damage) each time - sometimes they are the only option besides pts

14. Sled dog hotel

What size tablets is he on Mg wise? You can buy them online from reputable vet pharmacies. You will need a prescription from your vet to send with order which there will be a charge for, but even so, often you still save a lot of money.

I usually get my stuff from vet medic who Ive used for years but there are others. If you want to compare the prices see link, you can check prices for the various size tablets. If it seems a lot cheaper then ring the vets and ask how much they charge for a prescription then you can weigh up if you can make any savings.

Atopica Capsules for Dogs | Atopica from £0.94 - Vet-Medic.com

Animal Prescription Only Medicine | Buy Discount Medicine Online

15. MRogers

MRogers PetForums Newbie

Oh really.... thank you. He's on 50mg daily at the moment. I'm hoping it calms him down and hopefully we can cut it down to once every day or every other day. I just want something to help him. I don't think I've ever seen my dog with a full head of hair :-( x

16. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Oral steroids take approximately 6-8 weeks to fully exit a dog's system.

Atopica has (IMO) significantly worse potential side effects than steroids such as pred. Atopica would be the last resort for mine and he will not have it unless he is at death's door. That's not to say I would never use it, but my boy's condition is considered severe and I still don't rely on that stuff. Plenty of negative press about it which I do feel is worth reading about before deciding whether to use it or not.

Atopica: A Dangerous Path To Take | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Genuinely I would opt for pred over Atopica any day. My lad is on Moxxor oil capsule supplements (about £50 per pot and they last him one month but a dog the size of yours they would last two months, so £25 per month. My insurance pay out for them too). They are fantastic and he is coping very well. He gets baths in Epi Soothe shampoo every few weeks but is predominantly steroid free and had not been for years before Moxxor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice