Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Steroid meds & reaction to vaccine.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Brightonian, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Brightonian

Brightonian PetForums Member

Hi everyone,

So Bubbles (15.5yo DSH ) is currently on steroids for a skin allergy and has been for just under a year now. She was licking all her fur off near her back end, I managed to find a wet food she eats without any major reaction and she continues on the steroids. Every now and then she is sick as she guzzles her food, but also struggles to go to the toilet. So she vomits instead it seems. ‍♀️

fast forward to yesterday, she needed her overdue booster. She missed it when it was due in the summer due to COVID19 and us moving. The vet ran very late and I couldn’t go in with her, so she was stressed. She was fine when we returned home.

At 4 AM this morning she went to be sick, usually it’s her food or some yellow coloured spit with fur in. This morning it was just fairly bright yellow foam. She did this 2 times, then twice again around 730AM.

She now hasn’t eaten all day nor has she drank anything ( she doesn’t usually drink much as all her food is wet food )

has anyone had this with a cat post vaccination, with them being on steroids? She has always been fine before with her vaccine. But this is the first year to be on steroids every day and receive her jab.
    Any advice is really appreciated.
    She is currently snoozing, she purrs but she’s fairly quiet.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

This might be nothing to do with the vaccination. Not eating & drinking isn't good, have you rung the vet?

Incidentally I think many cats find the vets less stressful as they stay in the car with their owner until they are collected, not in a waiting room with unfamiliar cats and dogs around. My vet has a separate waiting area for cats, but they can still smell dogs.

3. Brightonian

No I haven’t but I’m about to. X

4. Brightonian

She just had a little bit of food but not much.

5. OrientalSlave

What did the vet say?

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Brightonian - my vet chose not to give one of my cats a booster vaccine when my cat was on a short course of steroids. The administration of the booster was delayed by a month until the effects of the steroid had worn off. As steroids suppress the immune system, I assumed that perhaps the booster would not raise the response it needs to, from the immune system, while my cat was on steroids.

One of my cats reacted badly to a booster core vaccine a couple of years ago, and became seriously ill 24 hrs later. It can be the adjuvant they react badly to sometimes...(in adjuvanted vaccines i.e. ) The following year I changed him to a non-adjuvanted vaccine (Purevax) and he's been fine every year since.

Which type of vaccine did Bubbles have?

Bubbles, at her age, probably by now has very good immunity to the viruses covered by a core vaccine. Have you considered discontinuing the annual booster and maybe just have an antibody test done every couple of years instead? I did this in the past with a couple of my senior cats who had chronic health issues (CKD, HyperT). Their antibodies remained protective right into their old age.

#6 chillminx, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  7. Brightonian

Hey everyone. The vet said that she may just be having an off day. Last night she picked up and wanted to eat and drink some cat milk. She slept downstairs which is unusual. So I checked on her in the night and she was back to her normal self.
    Ref what vaccine I’m not sure. But I will research about her having a booster again. It did frighten me as her brother was lost a couple of years back to HCM so I was starting to worry that this was her getting ill.
    Thanks for everyones replies x

chillminx likes this.
  8. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

My cat had developed injection sight Sarcoma cancer after having bad reactions to her vaccines. I regret it till this day. One year I had missed her annual injection and she seemed so active and healthy that year. She used to lose her appetite and become thin after her injections and when after one year the vet started all over again from the start and the next year gave her expired vaccine injection she was very ill after that. And after one year she had developed cancer. I regret it and feel guilty that I should have listened to my gut feelings and not listened to the vet.

9. OrientalSlave

Injection site sarcomas are rare, and as far as I know mostly associated with the FeLV vaccine. I lost two young cats to them (both under 7), of course now I wish I'd stuck to the ordinary trivalent vaccine, but I know that back then I thought I was doing my best for them.

However there were no symptoms for some years. The OP has a cat with problems the day after her vaccine, not months or years later.

Also, the diseases the vaccines help prevent (FPV) or moderate (FCV, FHV) are real and serious. Any free-ranging cat should be vaccinated, but not all vaccines require an annual booster. With Tricat / Ducat it's kitten course of Tricat, first booster of Tricat, then 2 years of ducat followed by a year of Tricat, then Ducat and so on. There are other vaccines where annual boosters are not required. However, if they are, any insurance won't pay out for an illness that should have been vaccinated against.

Finally it is shocking your vet gave an out-of-date vaccine, but I doubt that had any bearing on your cat's subsequent health, and also that they didn't take account of your cat having an unusually strong reaction to being vaccinated.

10. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

She was very ill after having expired vaccine and when I phoned them the receptionist said expired vaccinations can still be used for few months after the use by date but this was 8 months pass it’s use by date. I had no knowledge about the vaccines and I should had stopped seeing her bad reaction to them. She always lost her appetite for few months after the injections and became thin. She used to became lethargic too. I was stupid enough to think that it’s normal reaction to the vaccines, only I know now most cats don’t react so badly and if they do only one or two days then they are fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice