Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Steps to Take Before Mating Your Bitch

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Tanya1989, May 10, 2010.

1. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

You have decided that you want to breed you bitch. She has had all the breed health tests (consult you breed club for the list) and all the results are well within the breed average. She has proven herself in the ring, or in the working field (agility, field trials etc) gaining awards under several judges. She has an excellent temperament.

She must also be within a certain age range for breeding for the first time. For most Toy and Small Breeds they should be at least 18 months old and have had 2 seasons at minimum. Breeds like Chihuahuas fall into this category. For most larger breeds they should be at least 2 years old. This includes breeds such as Border Collies, Labs, smaller GSDs. For Very Large and giants they should be at least 2 1/2 years, but preferably closer to 3 yrs, depending on how the seasons fall.

Certain breeds like the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel do not fall into this category. These should be at least 2 1/2 yrs old with parents over 5 yrs old, as their MRIs cannot be performed until 2 1/2yrs. But once again, consult your breed club for their code of ethics regarding breeding practises withing the breed. The details of the breed clubs can be found at the bottom of the page where the Kennel Club Breed Standards, or most can be found by google.

Bitches should not be bred for the first time after 4 1/2 years, despite what your vet says about the bitch being "in their prime". It maybe true, but not in their prime for breeding from for the first time.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-breeding/88684-how-choose-stud-dog-your-bitch.html Visit this thread for advice on choosing the appropriate stud for your bitch. Its not about choosing the leading dog in the breed, its about choosing the best stud to compliment your bitch. This amount of preparation takes at least a year to find the best possible dog. Researching pedigrees, highlighting faults etc... all is mentioned in the above thread.

Now you need to gather a secure waiting list. To decide how many people you should have on your waiting list you need to work out the average number of puppies your breed has. Then add 50%. This is how many people you should have on your waiting list. For example, a breed with an average number of 8 puppies should have at least 12 people on the list. As there are many people that claim they want a puppy desperately then decide they can't have one of your puppies for a reason, either they bought another puppy sooner or decided against one all together etc. Avoid taking friends and families word for definite. IME these are the worst culprits for dropping out last minute. You should interview each person on the list before mating the bitch to ensure they are all suitable families to have a puppy of yours.

Ok, all the above is done. You have a perfectly health tested bitch (according to your breed clubs), with a few awards under her belt and a temperament to die for and a secure waiting list. You have chosen your stud and been given the go ahead from the stud owner. You also have your back up stud incase things don't go to plan. You have chosen which season you are going to mate her on.

Your bitch should be in good hard condition before mating. At the peak of her fitness and well muscled. With a nice bright eye and full of energy. She should be in excellent general health.

You are now on the count down for the start of the season. You would have made a note of the previous dates of her seasons so you should know when roughly she is due in. From a month before you should blot blot her vulva with white tissue a couple of times a day (once on morning, once in evening) and check for any signs of bleeding. Remember first day of red blood is Day 1.

Approximately 2 weeks before she is due in she should be wormed with your regular wormer and if necessary treated for fleas.

The day has arrived... You have spotted blood today! This is Day 1 of her season. You should ring your vet and arrange for progesterone testing to happen about day 8 unless you are expecting an early ovulator. The best lab for progesterone testing is Idexx. Ask your vet for the bloods to be forwarded to here. You will normally get the results the following working day. Progerserone testing is very important in my opinion as it is the only day to know when ovulation occurs, therefore only way you can predict the actual whelping date. Therefore, it allows you to know when it is advised to intervene if your bitch goes over due date. My vet never allows them to go past day 64 from ovulation as risk to bitch and puppies increases dramatically.

A couple of tests maybe needed to accurately pinpoint ovulation day. Idexx will inform you what day she should be mated. It is 2 days after ovulation.

Mating takes place... now look here... http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-breeding/98252-steps-take-after-mating-your-bitch.html

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Ha! I should show this to a customer at work. She has a 5 year old Goldie and wants to breed from her. I said to her, that it wasn't advisable as she is a little old for her first litter blah blah blah. She didn't pay any attention, paid for her shopping then left... ugh.

3. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

Tanya this is fab. Great basics for anyone thinking about breeding from their bitch. Green Blob coming your way :thumbup:

I have a question which might sound a bit stupid really. When breeders say 'make sure you research you lines thoroughly' I know they mean go back through the generations to find any health problems that could crop up among other things and obv its great to know your lines inside and out, but how do you go about finding out all of this information. I know some is on the KC website but what about imported dogs etc, and the things that are not available to novices on the web?
    We novices could contact our breeders but if we cant how do we find the info?

I cant give you a green blob :( says must spread it about :rolleyes:

#3 cutekiaro1, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Breed clubs are the best bet, assuming that the dog was imported for showing or working lines. We have a great international and national studbook online. GSDs do too I believe. You don't necessarily just have to ask your breeder, but the top few breeders of the breed will know most dogs flaws too :)

Thanks for the green blob :D

Oh just seen your edit... never mind lol :D

5. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

Oh cool might have to have a poke about and see what I can find out about Akira's lines. I already had some great info from a lady on another forum about her pedigree :thumbup:

Will be back with that blob when im allowed lol :lol:

6. leashedForLife

bump.... :thumbup:

7. lilacbabe

lilacbabe PetForums Member

Bitches should not be bred for the first time after 4 1/2 years, despite what your vet says about the bitch being "in their prime". It maybe true, but not in their prime for breeding from for the first time.

Depends on breed type,condition of dog and what the average life span of the breed is.
    If you ask experienced breeders their oppinions they all differ so really to say that all dogs should not have a first litter if they are over 5 and 1/2 years old is not exactly true
    as young dog can have problems with a first litter too.
    However ,breeding always has its risks and it is really important to plan ,research healthcheck etc before breeding with any dog whether it be 2 yrs old or 5+ years old.

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

After 4 1/2yrs the pelvis becomes very rigid and the likely hood for a c section is much higher than those who have already have had a litter before and allowed the expansion of the pelvis and the birth passage.

I have bred a bitch at 7 years old with no problems, she was in good hard condition before hand and still at the top of her game, and naturally still passing her annual health tests. However, she'd had 2 smaller litters before.

I would never breed a litter from ANY bitch after 4 1/2 if she hadn't already had one before.

9. lilacbabe

My 2 JRT'S were bred 1st litters one was 2 1/2 the other was 3 1/2 and they both needed C sections so it can happen so a young dog .:(

As I said all breeders have different opinions and it will depend on each breed of dog , how fit and healthy it is etc.

You will find that there are allways differences of opinion on breeding,when to spay,nueter etc so not saying you are wright or wrong I just dont think there are any hard and fast rules whether you should or should not breed over a certain age ,just as I do not think a bitch should be spayed at 4 months old or before its first season or whether a dog should be neutered before it a year old.:)

As you said on a previous thread

Remember this is a forum full of mixed members from all over the world. We have many different types of members from young to old, novice to experienced etc etc. The only thing we all have in common really is pets ( )

I mainly live in the dog forums so I notice it the most there but I'm sure it happens in the others too. There are some posts/ posters that regularly include incorrect information that could cause devistating consequences for your pet. Please, please for the sake of you pet contact a vet if in any doubt, or your breeder if applicable.

Just please remember ANYONE can post on here and it may seem a reliable source, but its not always the case.

#9 lilacbabe, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Can you point out where I say that a younger dog wouldn't need a c section? :rolleyes: . You needn't quote my own words against me :D

11. lilacbabe

You did not say that younger dog would not need a C section I did !

Simply pointing out that young dogs 1st time litters do have problems too.You said that it was more likeley if a dog was older because the pelvis would not be as supple I was just pointing out that young dogs have problems too:)

I quoted your own words because as you stated, advice can be given but it is best to check with a vet or breeder before doing anything like breeding whether or not the dog is 2 yrs or 5+ years.

I dont see why you are getting so defensive as I was only giving my opinion as were you and it was you that did state that advice given on here should be checked out which I thought was good advice.

I dissagreed with you and said what I thought so what's the problem ??

12. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Thanks tanya, this is a really useful thread and excellent guidelines to help people go away and do their research properly.

I agree that an older bitch shouldn't be bred from for a first litter. It may work out okay but the chances of it being a difficult pregnancy and labour are just too risky for me. Any mating and its outcome has its risks, so its about reducing them.

Likewise I think too long a gap between litters can be detrimental too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice