Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stephen Fry under police investigation for blasphemy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noushka05, May 7, 2017.

1. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Remind me again which century we're living in?:eek:

For saying this - which I agree with:Nailbiting.

(I've posted this video several times on here - it seems to be very controversial :Bag.)

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I agree with what he says tbh

Not sure why, in this day and age, someone is not allowed to express their opinion on God (any God - there are quite a few, I believe)?

I looked up Blasphemy and this popped up first:

"Blasphemy law is a law limiting the freedom of speech and expression relating to blasphemy, or irreverence toward holy personages, religious artifacts, customs, or beliefs."

This was offered as a definition on Google:

"blasphemy
    ˈblasfəmi/
    noun
    1. the action or offence of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk.
      "he was detained on charges of blasphemy"
      synonyms: profanity, profaneness, sacrilege, irreligiousness, irreverence, taking the Lord's name in vain, swearing, curse, cursing, impiety, impiousness, ungodliness, unholiness, desecration, disrespect;"
    I don't think anything he said related to that definition either tbh

3. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I thought the burning of heretics had long been out of fashion? o_O

If Stephen is prosecuted, which I very much doubt, the floodgates will send forth a tsunami of ridicule across all the land...

Anyways, God will just have to make his appearance in court and if he, or she, doesn't show up on the trial date or request it be postponed because of some divine intervention, the judge will just have to dismiss the case.

Your move God.:)

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I agree with every word he said, you'd think the police would have better things to worry about.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It's not like he was standing outside a church demonstrating and causing a fracas!

He was being interviewed and was answering a question.

People stand outside Abortion Clinics and admonish women and staff going in, scream and shout abuse at them and hold up explicit photographs - now that is outrageous imo

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Looking at the news reports it is one person ...in Ireland ...who made the complaint in 2015 and the police (the Garda) have actually not done anything about the original complaint ...but the man has insisted and brought it up again :rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...tigated-by-irish-police-for-alleged-blasphemy

It's a powerful speech by Fry and I will always remember the line 'childhood cancer ...what's that all about god?' (or something like that).

J

ouesi and Team_Trouble like this.
  7. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

How can you prosecute someone for blasphemy when it's not known exactly what the subject being blasphemed is. ie him, her or it, (as quoted by the presenter).

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

How can they take someone to court, for saying something about something that there is NO proof exists.

9. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I personally don't like his speech or agree with it. However, I am sure that God is more than able to cope with him expressing his opinion.

kimthecat and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

They do indeed: there is a BPAS clinic about half a mile from where I live, and the anti-abortion people stand there all day long, every day, even when it's raining and getting dark. They don't cause trouble, but I rather get the impression that if you made eye contact (which I never do) they would try to engage you in conversation. It's amazing that they have so much time on their hands tbh.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

There are some outside my local hospital too, they just sit there with their signs. What a massive waste of their time!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Penalty has been reduced to a maximum 25,000 euro fine which he could well afford but I'd hope he didn't pay. Not too sure on the law in Ireland but I'd say the interviewer was an accessory :) RTE are the ones who broadcast it so I guess they're implicated too.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Odin_cat

Odin_cat PetForums Member

Such a waste of time and effort, he makes some perfectly valid philosophical points.

In my opinion, making fun of religion is one of the best ways to combat extremism.

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Though I don't think he was making fun, but giving a very valid and sensible answer to a deliberately provocative question. ;)

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Blasphemy and heresy are two different crimes, although the distinction is very difficult to find. I thought blasphemy might just be one of those laws that had been allowed to fade into the distant past, like Cromwell outlawing Christmas, but while it exists, a fast majority of the population are subject to being prosecuted. Just using 'Oh, My God!' or 'Jesus Christ' as expletives are blasphemy. I think the last case was when Mary Whitehouse took that gay magazine to court under the blasphemy laws for saying that Jesus was gay.

Pathetic.

16. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It was certainly that. It isn't the first time he's expressed those views either so the interviewer knew exactly what he was doing. I doubt it will come to much, it's been sparked by a complaint from a viewer - the Irish equivalent of 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' I guess.

17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It might even backfire on the complainant bring it back into the public arena.

More people will see and hear of Fry's comments/opinion and think - "yeah, he has a point!". ;)

LinznMilly, Matrod, ouesi and 4 others like this.
  18. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

I remember us not been able to exclaim 'oh god' or 'jesus christ' we got told off for 'taking the lord's name in vain' and every family has their own belief's I don't believe it's right to charge him for his views it's not as if he set fire to a church or attacked a priest or vicar, because he doesn't believe in god!

I wouldn't want to go to an heaven where a god lets people suffer like that either!... I'm booked on the 'Happy Cloud' to Rainbow Bridge to meet up with all the dogs we ever had, as I'm pretty sure their version is a much nicer place! ;) :D

I like this Story I just know it as 'The West Of Ireland Man'

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.

He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble... At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.
    When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.. 'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.

Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up. 'The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveler asked.

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.

As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'

'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.'

'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.

'There should be a bowl by the pump.'

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.

The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.

When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree..

'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.

The West of Ireland Man.jpg

19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It isn't even new - it's from a couple of years ago. The complainant wishes to remain anonymous but thinks it was his 'civic' duty. No distance between church and state there then :)

Lurcherlad and simplysardonic like this.
  20. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

The law that he is using was changed to include all religions. Prior to then it only applied to Christianity. The person that reported could be part of any religion (or none).

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice