Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Step Up to Naturals Dog food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Poppy171, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Poppy171

Poppy171 PetForums Newbie

#1 Poppy171, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If it suits your dog that's all that matters.

I believe @BlueJay uses this but feeds mainly wet too. No one here can say her 5 dogs look bad on it.

Poppy171 and BlueJay like this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Yup, my guys are all on Step Up!
    Only one is on the grain free version (he can't have rice - the others are on large breed and fishy one)

I do mix wet in too, (also step up, lulullus, rocco, butchers etc) but I like tp think my doggos are fit and healthy on it!
    Really good poops, soft shiny coats, no stink and they enjoy it.

Of course it comes down to what you're happy feeding. Its not the highest meat content out there nor is it single protein source so probably wont suit snobby snobs or mega sensitive dogs, but it is a pretty good food... Especially for the price!
    Plus it goes on offer every couple of months.

I've fed all sorts.... From 80% meat content, organic fancy pants foods to cheapy potato based " OMG WHEN IS PAYDAY?!" ones (i think of myself as a food snob with working class standards ;) ) and honestly, they're doing just as well - a couple of them doing better - on Step Up than on the top end brands.
    I've figured why feed a more expensive one if you dont have to ha

35000528_2131894167047278_7398600931417260032_n.jpg

#3 BlueJay, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's not bad for the money - pretty much what you'd expect. I'd like to see a higher meat content but appreciate for those on a tight budget it's not always realistic. I have to count the pennies too. I think Millie's Wolfheart Forerunner works out somewhat better being 40% meat, particularly if you can stump up for the 4 x 12 kg deal. https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/dog-food/40-meat-fish-recipes/forerunner-mix

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It's not 40% meat though. It's clever marketing using fresh and dried ingredients. Through processing you lose the water content and plus they class named oils as part of their 'meat' too. Hence the nutritional value for protein is low for protein.

Probably more meat in step up for naturals as they use nutritionally dense meat meal, which is named which is always a bonus.

Torin. and BlueJay like this.
  6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I’ve fed Step Up to Naturals since PAH started making it - maybe 2 or so years ago? I can’t remember. It’s the only dry food that my fussy ish GSD eats all of with gusto. I’m not particularly brand loyal so thought I’d treat her to a ‘posh’ brand of food as a change, which she picked at one or two meals of and then promptly ignored. SUTN on the other hand is cleared every time!

Twiggy and Poppy171 like this.
  7. Karen Jack's Mum

Karen Jack's Mum PetForums Newbie

Hi, I just bought this yesterday and it looked pretty good. However a little disappointed that the bag can not be recycled

rona likes this.
  8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I use this as treats for my walk dogs, it seems to be fine for the 2 with tummy issues, including pancreatitis and also the one with skin issues. To me that's the best endorsement of a food that I can give.
    Of course I don't know how it would go down as a complete diet but I've got a couple of hedgehogs in the garden that have been living on it for the summer and their poops are just fine :D

9. sjn88

sjn88 PetForums Junior

I got this yesterday as I wanted a bigger kibble as Harrington's so small I've mixed this morning and Nova seemed to pick this out 1st so I'm taking that as she likes it

10. Poppy171

#10 Poppy171, Nov 1, 2018
  11. KeithChesterfield2

KeithChesterfield2 PetForums Newbie

A few months ago we rehoused a 7 year old Border Collie from Blue Cross and we didn't know what food he was used to.

We have been giving him Chicken and Sweet Potato Grain free 'Step up to Naturals' and he is thriving on the food.

But we have noticed that, how can I put this, he often seems to have silent but deadly wind.

Do other dogs using this product have a similar problem or should we investigate whether the smells are a direct result of his dog food or another underlying reason ?

Any help appreciated.

MERLIN 7 USE.jpg

12. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

@KeithChesterfield2 - farts usually indicate a mild intolerance - the gut doesn't get on with the food, but not bad enough for it to be diarrhoea levels. Some people are happy with that level, some people will feed foods that are at that level only once in a while, others avoid it all together. It's worth noting that 'happy with that' can cause problems long term as repeat exposure of high levels is more likely to make the situation worse than better. But you'll be much better off in terms of flexibility if you can work out exactly what ingredient that is that's causing the problem. Informed decisions and all that :)

For example, my dog gets really bad farts from sweet potato. I'm happy to give him very small amounts of food we get for free with small amounts of it in e.g. trial bags of food with it as a minor ingredient to be used in tiny amounts in feeding enrichment toys a couple of times a week. But I completely avoid actually paying money for foods which contain it, even if they only contain say 4% (how much sweet potato the SUTN tinned wet foods contain).

lullabydream likes this.
  13. KeithChesterfield2

Thanks for the reply.
    If it is the Sweet Potato, as a matter of elimination, causing the wind would Rice perhaps be a better option with regards to digestion than the Potato ?

14. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I don't really understand your question - can you rephrase? With regards to your wording, despite similar names, potato and sweet potato are completely unrelated plants (they're not even in the same taxonomical family). While some pet food companies call normal potato "white potato" in a bid make things clearer, they do need to be treated as separate ingredients.

15. KeithChesterfield2

If it is the Sweet Potato, as a matter of elimination, causing the wind would Rice perhaps be a better option with regards to digestion than the Potato ?

If it is the Sweet Potato, as a matter of elimination, causing the wind would Rice perhaps be a better option with regards to digestion than the SWEET Potato ?

Is that any clearer ?

16. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

That's the same phasing, just with corrected wording. So not any clearer.

The first step with any of these things is to identify the trigger. Sweet potato was my example because that's what causes my dog issues. It may not be the same with yours.

17. Poppy171

#17 Poppy171, Feb 9, 2019
  18. KeithChesterfield2

The point I was trying to get over in my apparently unfathomable question was that if Sweet Potato was the cause of your dogs problem then it might also be the same cause as my dog's problem.

Therefore, changing one main ingredient (Sweet Potato 21%) to a product with Rice (14%) - and only 4% Sweet Potato - might solve the problem.

Without going through every ingredient that is indicated on the dog food packaging one by one it might be better starting with an obvious one and seeing if that works.

Hope this clarifies the post.

19. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

With one of my dogs it was chicken , and before I realised that was the culprit she had progressed through the evil wind stage to explosive diarrhoea and sometimes vomiting. Tripe content also gave her wind, once I eliminated both of those substances she was mostly fine.
    It's a case of trial and error realy, but be aware that chopping and changing food itself can cause tummy upsets.
    How about trying a fish and white potato kibble , stick with it for a couple of weeks, and see how she is ?
    Fishmongers from [email protected] is a highly rated food.

Torin. likes this.
  20. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I didn't realise asking you to clarify your question was so offensive. It's not uncommon for people to ask on forums as text-only communication removes nuance (e.g. I politely reworded a training question just the other day).

But yeah, you really do have to eliminate ingredients one at a time to work out what's causing the problem, without assumptions. Yes it's long winded, but trying to cut corners can create additional problems and also give false positives as explained by @SusieRainbow above. It took me about 10 months to know for sure what was causing my dog's problems.

#20 Torin., Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice