Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stella has a scab on her back...

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Flissy, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I haven't posted on here for a while... but Stella is still going bald. It seemed to start growing back a bit so I thought she was just rubbing herself against it but when I moved back to my parents house it has got worse again. I just got her out and noticed she has a scab on her back, in the middle.

Could this mean she has mites? I got some beaphar anti-parasite stuff but I can't decide whether I should put it on now or in the morning?

Or should I take her to the vets?

2. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

She should most definately go to the vets, better to be safe than sorry!

Poor little gal, hope she gets better soon!

3. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I think i'll ring them in the morning... I'd rather know for sure if its mites or cushings or something else as I'll be worrying otherwise :(

4. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

She's off to the vets later, the consultation fee is £20 though!! That seems like a lot, when I went to the vets at uni it was only going t be £7 but then they didn't charge me anyway as they didn't do anything! :D

Hopefully the medicine (if there is any) won't be too expensive :(

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Do they not have a small animal consultation fee? Our vet charges less for small animal consultations than it does for dogs and cats. Cant you get pdsa treatment as youre a student?

6. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I'm not sure... I just asked how much it costs and she said £20 but it depends on treatment/what they find to be wrong. So it might be less than that I suppose?

I thought about going to the pets at home vets as that might have been cheaper but its also further away and I'm not good enough at driving to drive that far lol :p

7. thedogsmother

Ohh the pets at home vets are not cheap, they charged me a fortune when Monty broke his leg and they didnt actually do anything, just gave me metacam to give to him at home, and it wasnt out of hours.

8. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Oh right thats not helpful then!!

If she has cushings I don't think theres a lot they can do other than give her some cream for the sore bits... :(

9. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I've just got back from the vets and they said it is mites so I've got some lotion to put on :)

It did cost me £28 though :eek: :eek: :eek: but at least I know she's going to be ok :)

10. thedogsmother

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay I was so worried about her, so glad its treatable, but £28 just to sell you some invermectin how can they justify that:eek:.

11. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Well the appointment cost £22... then the medicine was £6 :confused: :eek:

But at least she's ok! It serves me right for not getting the anti mite lotion in the first place, the stupid vet at uni wouldn't sell it to me and there was no pet shop that sold it :(

Glad the vet didn't seem to think it was cushings though, I did mention it but it just seems like its mites that have got out of control. Stella didn't enjoy her skin being scraped off, poor girl :(

12. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Am sorry she's not well...and it cost you a fortune to get her treated....but am very relieved its not cushings!

Get well soon Stella!! xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice