Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

steam carpet cleaner

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jenny armour, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

can anybody help me
    i am looking for a good but reasonably price carpet steam cleaner.
    i have lived in my house for nearly four years but still have some of the original carpets from when i first moved here.
    unfortunately i seem to get alot of stains appearing on the carpet that i think must come from the underlay but at the moment i dont want to have to replace it, so i thought i would clean them.
    dont really want to have to fork out for shampoo but i thought a steam cleaner would be good.
    any suggestions?

2. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Is it worth hiring a carpet cleaner? My local morrisons do them, only about £20 a day! I have just shampooed my carpets today, but borrowed my mums cleaner to do it :D

3. jenny armour

possibly but i dont drive so it means i would have to get it onto a bus lol.
    being as i have seven cats i thought it would be worth while buying one. i did
    have the carpet professionally cleaned last year being i knew i was holding onto this carpet for a while, but it looks as bad as it did then

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

5. I think you would perhaps be better hiring one!

And if you are thinking it could be the underlay then be VERY careful - We had a very expensive carpet fitted in our lounge! We had NEVER walked on it with our shoes - yet we kept getting dark patches! OH tried to steam them off and it got worse! seems it were the underlay they used! I really should have gone and complained - that carpet is still in that lounge! Really annoyed !

6. jenny armour

yes i have dark marks on one of my bedroom carpets and i had the carpet put down about two years ago, i think i kept the original underlay and i think it could have been because the previous people also animals and it could have been an accident mark. must remember wheni get a new carpet to have new underlay.
    i will bear it in mind when i clean the carpet thank you

7. lambsey

lambsey PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Well, I have quite new carpets and I bought a steamer like the ones they advertise on the shopping channels, but to be honest they don't clean carpets so I wouldn't waste money on buying a steamer, they're fine for doing my kitchen tiled floor and bathroom but as for actually cleaning carpets, they don't do a very good job, but you can buy very reasonable carpet cleaners that would be better. :(

8. jenny armour

i see vax are advertising a new carpet cleaner, but the shampoos get expensive. has anyone found vax to be any good

9. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

I used to have a vax steam cleaner but now have a Bissell and it's fab!!!!

I buy shampoos for it on ebay.

10. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Vax Rapid is a really good one, I used to own one until I had wooden flooring. Excellent machines.

11. jenny armour

which model have your got?

12. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

13. jenny armour

goodness thats expensive but i suppose you get what you pay for

14. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Just got myself a Vax Rapid Power woop woop

15. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i think it`s be best to hire one to see how it goes first rather than investing in one right off, some companies do a drop off and pick up service if you ask around.

i hired one once to do the carpet downstairs, it worked wonderfully but within a day all the marks were back much worse than before. turned out it was the underlay causing the problem so we had to rip the carpet up and have new flooring put down about a month ago which was a pain as we`re moving out in the next few weeks anyway :(

16. jenny armour

this is the trouble i've got i used the existing underlay in one bedroom and its come through the new carpet and the lounge carpet is always having stains coming through, this carpet was put down by the previous owners but i dont want to pay out for another one just yet as there is too much to do to the house.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice