Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stay away from Febreze litter

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ragdollady, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragdollady

Ragdollady PetForums Member

Recently bought a big bag of febreeze litter. It is so so bad. Bought it as the usual had run out and OMG the pee accumulated within 2 days and create a pee pond underneath the litter...Also only one kitten using it. Usually I clean poo straight away and change whole litter 2-3 days. But this litter was so horrible and I decided after two days to change it as Luna looked unhappy using it. Oh God the fumes... the litter changed the pee smell to such horrific smell I can’t explain. I’m sure the smoking has done less damage to my lungs

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Ragdolllady - I have never heard of Febreze cat litter! Does it smell disgusting like that awful air freshener stuff for spraying on furniture etc ? Eugh!

Scented cat litter is not good for cats.

Ragdollady, lorilu and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I havnt heard of it either .
    I have never understood why cat litter needs to be " scented. ":confused: surely it is likely to put cats off using litter trays

lorilu, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Absolutely @buffie. Cats need to be able to smell themselves in their trays, not have their noses assaulted by the synthetic pong of flowers, LOL. :D

cheekyscrip, buffie and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Pee should be scooped out every day, preferably more than once a day. It should never be left to sit in the box for two or three days.

I understand you don't like the litter but regardless of what litter you are using, pee should be scooped out. And if you are only providing one box it should be scooped every time it is used.

I would recommend you provide your kitten with another litter box, and get in the habit of checking them and scooping out whatever is in them, at least twice a day.

You don't mention whether this litter is scented or not, but I do agree with the others, use un-scented litter only. Cats have a very acute sense of smell. I really do pity any cat forced to use scented litter.

2nd hand smoke is so harmful to her tiny lungs, and she's getting a double whammy, as all that tar and nicotine and chemicals will be landing on her fur, and getting on her feet from surfaces in your home, as well. So not only would she be breathing the poisons, she'll be ingesting them.

Hopefully you already smoke outside, but I felt I couldn't stay silent, just in case.

#5 lorilu, May 24, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2020
    spotty cats likes this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Why are you leaving wee in the tray for 2 days?! Trays should be cleaning out every day, as a minimum twice a day.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

8. Ragdollady

No no it’s unscented but yes by the same company. The litter itself didn’t smell of anything... but after being used it smelt horrible. It was one of those light weight ones. Arghhhh it’s so expensive too just couple pounds cheaper thn catsan

9. Ragdollady

LOL I do NOT smoke inside the house. I have kids and even if I didn’t I wouldn’t smoke inside anyway. Stop with the assumptions please. Also she has 4 litter trays through the house. Only 2 of those she uses rest she doesn’t use but they are there. Poo gets scooped out straight away. As she uses multiple litter trays changing everyday is pointless so I change 2-3 days and it’s working out perfectly. When I used to use clumping litter, I used to scoop out pee clumps straight away but this is non clumping one so need to change the whole lot.

#9 Ragdollady, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Goodness! I (and the others) posted out of concern for your kitten based on the information given in your original post. There was nothing assumptive or judgmental about my comments. In fact I was very careful to NOT sound either of those things, your original post did spark much concern, but I made an effort to give you the benefit of the doubt, as the saying goes.. Perhaps you should read it again.

And clumping or not, the pee should be removed daily. :)

#10 lorilu, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Rufus15 likes this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Ragdollady - I'm glad it is not a scented litter. :). I don't think we sound judgmental and miserable, I'm sorry you see us that way. But we are passionate about cat welfare.

I do think that pee (and poo of course) should be scooped every day no matter how many trays you have out, or how often kitty uses them. It is a matter of hygiene for the kitty. Sorry if you think that is judgmental, to me it is just good practice. :)

p.s. please don't bite my head off, :D

12. Ragdollady

Usually I don’t lose it this easily but how can anyone assume that I’d smoke indoors, let alone near my kitten that’s my baby. I have always found you very helpful chillminx. You are good peeps lol you’ve helped with Luna when I really needed help and I appreciate you a lot. Luna says thank you. It just literally blew my head off that anyone could think that I’d smoke near my cats. Also a quick search would’ve cleared up scented or not scented. It’s just that because of the lockdown this was only one available and I had to throw the whole bag away. It was horrible.

13. Ragdollady

I know how I care for my cats, I know they are safe and well fed. I’ve made an account over here to seek help when I need it and to share my experiences if that helps anyone. Please do NOT assume the worst. Thanks

14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I didn't "assume" anything. You made a comment about what smoking does to your lungs in a post about a kitten and pooling pee in a litter box that you don't scoop the pee out of and how she didn't want to use the box because of the pooling pee.

Since that was all you stated, my concern was for your kitten having to use a filthy box, so I politely suggested you scoop the pee at least twice a day and add another box. Perhaps you didn't know, some people actually don't.

I was also polite about the possibility of the litter being scented or not, in relation to your comment about the smell in the box.

My comment regarding the smoking:

Perhaps if you'd actually read my post you wouldn't have had to "loose it so easily."

#14 lorilu, May 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2020
    spotty cats likes this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Well, I see you removed your nastier comments. Better than nothing I suppose.

16. Ragdollady

After you removed yours lol

17. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

No. I didn't say anything nasty to you, I gave good advice based on your original post. Then you said some nasty things directed at me and the forum in general. True, I edited my reaction to your nasty words. But your comments were uncalled for in the first place.

18. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Dear me! There was a rather hectoring tone during this thread which was totally unnecessary.

I'd heard of a febreze litter but never actually seen it. Sadly so many litters fail to do what it says on the pack when it comes to absorption and odour control.

19. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I don't think any of the replies were unreasonable.

If soiled litter can't be removed daily because of the type of litter, then change to a clumping. Its not really acceptable to leave urine-soaked litter in a tray for 2-3 days, its unhygienic and no wonder it's smelling.

We know second-hand smoking causes multiple problems, and it wasn't at all clear that you smoke outside @Ragdollady. Additionally, the forum gets a lot of lurkers, so @lorilu raising this point would likely be beneficial to those lurkers, even if you feel it wasn't for you.

lorilu likes this.
  20. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I do agree, and not seeing the unedited posts, that @Ragdollady got jumped on a bit here.

That said, I have two cats and two probably average sized litter boxes. On a regular day I try to scoop out at least once in the morning and once before bed. But if I do see poo in a box during the day if home, I scoop then as well.
    I am lucky with flushable bio litter and it works fine plumbing wise.

But it is good the OP warned others about this litter not being very absorbent. I have never heard of the particular brand and admit my first thought was that it reminded me of the air freshener adverts.

The attack about smoking was really unwarranted, as it was unrelated to the litter tray issue and there was no reason to assume the OP smoked inside and was contaminating her cats health and coat.
    That said, I am a non smoker and felt this was a bit unfair to the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice