Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stay at vets, or stay at home?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by thelioncub, Mar 29, 2011.

1. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

Heya,

I'm trying to make a decision about what to do with our two boys when we go away for 3 weeks in 2 months.
    Originally, we planned to do as we have done in the past - pay the vet nurse to pop over and feed them in the mornings, then have the automatic dry-food feeder set to go off twice a day (it goes off once a day normally) My mum was also going to pop over during the first week and towards the end of the 3rd, and some other people might have visited in the middle bit.

However.. since Lance's diagnosis/operation/battle with Lymphoma the plans are naturally changing. He is now on half a steroid pill once a day, and is eating a LOT! :001_smile: Logi still wants to play with Lance, and we are worried that someone popping over might miss any signs of deterioration.

We have been offered a chance for Lance to stay at the vet surgery for the full 3 weeks, but this means leaving Logi on his own (or perhaps seeing if he can stay with a friend?)

My concerns are... Will Lance be bored staying at a kennel? (he's never been away from home like this before) and will he get frustrated not being able to stretch his legs and leap up on things? He coped very, very well when he was in there for the op, but I'm thinking he would have been very sleepy anyway so may not have minded his smaller surroundings so much. Logi would be upset being on his own, but do you think he would quickly adjust?

I feel like I am offsetting Lance's comfort for peace of mind - obviously he will be VERY well cared for at the vets, and I must admit I would feel better knowing that he wasn't roaming around at home possibly getting more and more sick. But the size of his space does make me feel guilty. Do you think cats adjust to kennel-type enclosures ok?

I don't know what to do! :confused:

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I think most cats will adjust to cattery type accommodation for short periods and I would be happy to leave Lance with the vet if he was mine.
    In his home environment Logi might miss Lance so if it is possible for him to stay with someone I would choose that option.

3. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Have you considered a cat sitter? Then both your boys would be monitored and getting attention for most of the day, in their home environment. I'm not sure how much they charge, but you could maybe have the vet nurse pop in every so often to check them over medically?

4. thelioncub

Thanks for the replies.
    Abster21, Do you mean a cat sitter who actually stays at your house for that time? I must admit I'd find it quite hard to trust a stranger to live in our home, and our closest friends and family are all coming away for a week of that 3 weeks anyway! Has anyone used a cat sitting company that can be trusted?

5. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

I do - there are quite a few companies popping up offering those kind of services - check out United Kingdom jobs, cars, property, free classifieds and more - Gumtree.com I haven't done it myself, but I've heard other people do it. I remember seeing a thread on here about people setting up agreements between forum members, if you live locally to anybody.

6. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

What area are you in?

7. thelioncub

Middlesex/Surrey

8. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

I have used "Animals at home". It is a francise company. I find Pearl who runs my particular area very good and she even medicated my Abby (rip) twice a day for a tyroid problem when I had to go away. On their website they say they do home sitting service as well as other services

9. thelioncub

Hey thanks for the message about Animals at Home. Weirdly enough, we have also used them and had a lovely lady come over and give our old cat Merlin pills for CRF. She even managed to get her to put on a bit of weight. BUT... every time we have tried to contact them via email or phone since, they never answer or reply. We even wondered if the lady no longer runs our local branch - only I have seen her drive past in the Animals at Home van! I don't think we did anything bad!!!
    Anyway.. I did look into them again a few weeks ago, and it looks like the Hampton area branch don't offer a home sit service - I believe it's branch specific... (even if I could get them to return our calls!)
    :(

10. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Obviously I can't speak for your vets, but where I work any cats we have boarding get on really well. We have a cat only ward so let them out to wander in the ward for a leg stretch and play a few times a day (covering over the kennels of the other cats so they can't eyeball each other), have grooming and fuss sessions. If Lance likes the attention i'm sure the nurses will spoil him rotten.

You need to do what you'll feel comfortable with, but I for one would feel comfy boarding my cat(s) at the vets if needs be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice