UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my cats seems to be permantly starving and he is slowly driving me doolally :D

He is a 3yr old neutered male who had a subtotal colonectomy in August [He ended up with mega colon which based on his age and the fact he took off for so long, it was decided surgery was the preferred option for him]. He had previously been fed on purely royal canin dry, with felix/whiskas/bozita wet food and was doing very well on it. He's been very healthy apart from his poo problems- these are thought to be some what behavioral as the first two constipation episodes co-incided with new cats in our area/change in routine for him as he'd only poo outside and the last one happened/caused him to take off missing for over a week which was when I decided to do the op.

I have read conflicting reports on what type of food he should ideally be eating now - some say dry to firm up poo (the missing part of his colon is where the extra moisture in his poo would have gone back to the body) and others say wet as the food has less colon to go through to absorb nutrients?
Imediately after his op he was put onto a low residue dry food (RC sensitivity) which meant he wasn't pooing too much to give everything chance to heal, and although previously he prefered wet food, he was more then happy to eat the dry. He was on cage rest until his stitches came out, and all was well. I am keen to get him onto grain free wet and dry and realistically for my wallet onto more dry then wet, although if someone can answer my Q about wet/dry for him based on his specific needs i'd be grateful!! - vet just said high fibre but internet seems to say no?! am so confused :confused:

Since he's had the OK, he has been a nightmare. He is refusing to eat the RC dry unless its their dental variety (!) and cries to be fed wet food - he will eat an entire bozita tetra pack and still want more, or if he was allowed 6 or more pouches of felix etc a day. He will scoff down a bowl and within minutes be crying to be fed again, and although right now his weight is fine it is not going to take long for him to get stupidly fat, plus he's costing more alone then what it used to cost me to feed all 3 cats

I have just ordered a bag of Acana grasslands, along with some cosima wet food to slowly wean him over but can anyone suggest anything else/anything different? He is one of 3 cats and I'd ideally like them to eat the same as much as possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have time to read and respond to all of this right now so will be back but I can only get the nature menu nuggets or prize choice minces locally :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.