UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my cats seems to be permantly starving and he is slowly driving me doolally :D

He is a 3yr old neutered male who had a subtotal colonectomy in August [He ended up with mega colon which based on his age and the fact he took off for so long, it was decided surgery was the preferred option for him]. He had previously been fed on purely royal canin dry, with felix/whiskas/bozita wet food and was doing very well on it. He's been very healthy apart from his poo problems- these are thought to be some what behavioral as the first two constipation episodes co-incided with new cats in our area/change in routine for him as he'd only poo outside and the last one happened/caused him to take off missing for over a week which was when I decided to do the op.

I have read conflicting reports on what type of food he should ideally be eating now - some say dry to firm up poo (the missing part of his colon is where the extra moisture in his poo would have gone back to the body) and others say wet as the food has less colon to go through to absorb nutrients?
Imediately after his op he was put onto a low residue dry food (RC sensitivity) which meant he wasn't pooing too much to give everything chance to heal, and although previously he prefered wet food, he was more then happy to eat the dry. He was on cage rest until his stitches came out, and all was well. I am keen to get him onto grain free wet and dry and realistically for my wallet onto more dry then wet, although if someone can answer my Q about wet/dry for him based on his specific needs i'd be grateful!! - vet just said high fibre but internet seems to say no?! am so confused :confused:

Since he's had the OK, he has been a nightmare. He is refusing to eat the RC dry unless its their dental variety (!) and cries to be fed wet food - he will eat an entire bozita tetra pack and still want more, or if he was allowed 6 or more pouches of felix etc a day. He will scoff down a bowl and within minutes be crying to be fed again, and although right now his weight is fine it is not going to take long for him to get stupidly fat, plus he's costing more alone then what it used to cost me to feed all 3 cats

I have just ordered a bag of Acana grasslands, along with some cosima wet food to slowly wean him over but can anyone suggest anything else/anything different? He is one of 3 cats and I'd ideally like them to eat the same as much as possible.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
From what I know about subtotal colectomy a cat's bowel habits usually gradually return to normal after the operation, so am I right in thinking your cat does not usually suffer from constipation or loose stools?

I know one of the best treatments for Megacolon is a low residue diet, and although the surgery has cured the Megacolon, I am thinking it might be an idea to put your cat on a low residue diet, as there will be less pressure in his bowel, which may be what is making him feel hungry all the time.

As he loves his wet food have you considered putting him on a raw food diet (as raw food is low residue)?

The advantage of feeding raw would be a very nutritious diet, producing
a low quantity of stools. Also, a meal of raw food would be likely to keep him satisfied for much longer than packeted food.

Dry food is particularly bad for causing frequent hunger for many cats as it contains a high level of carbs, which move quickly through the gut of a cat without being well digested, thus leaving them hungry an hour or so after eating:(

If you are interested in feeding raw, it is vitally important to feed a balanced diet with the right ratio of meat, offal and bone, and you might want to start by trying your cat on some of the prepared raw minces for pets sold by reputable companies such as Natural Instinct or Woldsway, both of whom have high standards of processing.

Natural Instinct - Frozen raw human-grade meat dog food, the dog breeders' choice.

English Rabbit and Other Meats

The thing is if he carries on eating such a lot at once, is there not a risk his remaining colon could become compacted and blocked again, as his bowel may be unable to process the food fast enough to keep up with the amount he is eating. This should be avoided if he eats raw, as he will need less, as well as his gut taking longer to digest it.

If you are concerned any time about his stool being hard, most cats will love drinking homemade chicken or beef broth in preference to water.

If the concern is about his stool being too soft, then the raw diet will firm it up.

There is a sticky on the board about raw feeding you may find it helpful to read. If you decide to try it, you can always start putting together your own raw food for him once you are sure it suits him. There are some good recipes available which will tell you exactly what is required.

I hope you will give the raw food idea some serious thought, as it could be the best solution for your hungry cat. Incidentally you could feed all your cats the raw diet, if they liked it. And I assure you it would be no more expensive than a packeted food diet. Even cheaper if you make up your own from a recipe.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Natural Instinct Minces for cats and Woldsway minces for cats are available mail order through their website. They are delivered packed in insulated boxes, (Woldsway's with ice packs), and can be safely left all day without being unpacked, if you are out when they are delivered.

I thought Nature's Menu raw nuggets and Prize Choice Minces are all raw minces for dogs? Perhaps I am wrong, and maybe someone else can comment on this.....

But anyway, if the minces are not prepared for cats they won't have taurine added (which cats must have enough of, in their diet). However, you could always add taurine to it yourself. The minces need to be the right ratio of 80/10/10 of meat, bone and offal. You would have to check with the manufacturers that they use this ratio.

As I recall the Prize Choices also have added rice and vegetables, which a cat does not need in its diet. And it would no longer be a low-residue diet if you fed your cat rice and vegetables in his diet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.