Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Starting with clicker training.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Old Shep, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

First of all, apologies if this has been raised before.

My 6 year old collie is getting a bit bored as he can no longer do serious agility and I was thinking of using clicker training to teach him some tricks and just to generally make him use his little brain. He's a typical collie who has undergone a personality change since my older dog died a couple of months ago!!

I did try using a clicker many years ago, but the book I had (I can't remember its name, it was a very small pamphlet-type which came with the clicker) just confused me and I gave up. In the interim, I have read a lot more around training and learning in general and feel I have a better grasp of what it's about.

Can anyone recommend a good book, which is clear and concise?

2. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

32 views and no replies? Anyone?

3. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

sorry no advice, didnt want to read and run. i hope you get an answer soon as it is also something i am interested in learning to do x

4. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Kikopup has lots of starter and more advanced stuff on her YT channel: YouTube - kikopup's Channel

And lots here too: YouTube - supernaturalbc2008's Channel

Clicking with your dog by Peggy Tillman is great. Kay Laurence has a new one that i haven't read yet The Perfect Foundation. And Click for Joy by Melissa Alexander is a classic!

clickertraining.com gives lots of info on the basics. Also clickersolutions.com is excellent.

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Karen Pryor is also said to be good.
    I've just got a clicker, only done a bit of target stuff so far, and I've been teaching Molly a sendaway- it was a bit difficult as one of our Bantam Chickens kept pinching the treats from the mat!
    Hope it perks your dog up,I'll be checking out those links.:)

6. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Recycling an answer for links on Clicker.

If you're saying someting like a happy "Yesss!" during training already (or good), then you have the idea of "marker" alreday, you just need to practice the preciser timing and dexterity for clicking. Your dog will cotton on soon enough, and if he's used to "earning" then charging it up with something tasty should be easy.

#6 RobD-BCactive, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  7. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Wow! What a lot of resources!! I'll be getting on to them asap.

He's a really smart cookie--something I have not appreciated till my old dog died. I'm pretty sure Tip was much more intimidated/freaful of Shep than I realised and this had affected his ability to concentrate and learn. He's really come out of his shell post-Shep. A lot of his "wierd" behaviours have also disappeared and without any help from me. I do feel a bit guilty now about how much stress he must have lived with as a constant in his enviornment and this has made me decide that I'll not be getting another dog anytime soon--maybe never as long as Tip's here. He deserves some peace.

Thanks everyone!

BTW Shep was a lovely dog, I'm not sure why he put the fear of god into Tip.

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

9. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Crossover to clicker is a really great book, it explains so much and has lessons in it

10. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Just ordered 2 books from Amazon; Clicker Training and Don't Shoot the Dog--noth Karen Pryor (who I had never heard of before).

I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

11. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Mary Rae's dancing with dogs is good explains how to shape tricks with a clicker. The canis clicker training academy is good for explaining how to switch over

12. Pawsitive

Pawsitive PetForums Junior

only just seen this thread but karen pryor is great - i have those books too and really enjoyed them - especially don't shoot the dog.

only skimread the other resources so apologies if you've had this already but her website is full of helpful info clickertraining.com

How is the training going? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice