Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Starting to get twitchy!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by GeorgeBick, Apr 8, 2011.

1. GeorgeBick

GeorgeBick PetForums Junior

Hi I have already made a few posts rasing this issue but nothing has changed and I am now begining to get frustrated!

I brought poppy who is now a 10 week old Shih-Tzu who will not go for a toilet outside!

I am taking her out for 5mins every half an hour but she just dosen't go. Every single video/advice that you get says to reward her when she goes. I am more than prepared to do this bus if she dosen't go you can't reward her! The time now is 1:50pm and she hasn't been to the toilet all day yet I have been taking her out every half an hour! Is it something I am still doing wrong or is she being delibratley... difficuly ;)

She is doing very well at learning tricks... I have only had her for a week and she has learned sit, lay and shake! This tells me she is quite intelligent and also I am rewarding her correctly!

I was hoping she would be housetrained in one month. one week in and she has made 0% progress! Finally she is using a crate and isn't going a toilet in there

Thankyou
    George and Poppy

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

is she just not toileting at all, or is she toileting in the house?

3. GeorgeBick

The last few days she has been going in the house at which point I have carried her into the garden. It's just today she hasnt gone fullstop all day!

4. Pawsitive

Pawsitive PetForums Junior

Has she had a vet check?

Might be painful for her to go and so she's holding as much as possible until unable to do so anymore? Just a thought.

Does she give off any signals before she goes? Ie tail lift / sniffing? If so, maybe you can whisk her outside the minute you see any signs and give praise / rewards afterwards to reinforce :)

5. GeorgeBick

Yeah she has been to the vet and had her first set of jabs advocate ect.... Yeah she does show signs of going.. I dont know if today is an off day ut she has reverted back to having no energy and just sleeping all day!!! :(

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Sorry If you've been given this advice before, but here's what I did/learnt in a nutshell (edit: ended up being a long post! sorry)

1) Never punish the dog for going inside, only praise for going outside.

2) If the dogs mid-stream, try to interrupt them and ideally get them to follow you outside to finish off, if thats impossible then carry them. Praise them like mad if they finish what they started outside as if the accident never happened.

3) Go out often to see if your dog needs the loo, but don't stay out too long. 2-3 minutes at most. If nothings happening go back inside and watch your dog like a hawk for the 'signs' (sniffing in a circle, being distracted...).

4) Every time your dog successfully wees outside attach a word to it like 'go toilet' or something you wouldn't mind saying in public, so eventually the dog will learn the association and you can ask them to go. Say it repeatedly during the event: "go toilet - good boy - go toilet - good boy"

5) keep your shoes on - the only real way you'll make progress is if you don't take your eyes off your dog and rush outside every time you think they need, or have already half gone. Some people even attach a houseline to themselves so their dog doesn't go out of their sight so they can watch for the signs.

6) Lastly, clean up the accidents properly and get rid of the scent markers with either a special spray from the petshop, or a mix of biological washing powder and water. If theres any trace of wee the dog can smell it acts like a bright beacon to go here again.

Finally - don't be too hard on your dog. 10 weeks is incredibly young really - your puppy is just a little baby and has a lot to learn and deal with at this age. It'll take time, and it's very frustrating to live through, but you will get there.

#6 Helbo, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I also found with my bitch it helps if you walk around when outside, she doesnt like me standing still, if i need her to go last thing at night i do have to walk around with her.

8. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

To be honest - i think fully housetrained in a month is very ambitious. For Charlie it took from 3 months old to about 6 months old to be reliably accident free. And I'm lucky enough to be home with my dog full-time so there was a lot of training time in that 3 months.

And although it seems frustrating at the moment, eventually there will be more success than accidents, and the accidents will reduce and reduce until you suddenly think "when was the last accident Poppy had?" :D

9. GeorgeBick

Gusy you have no idea how frustrating this is getting- well spose u do cause u have a dog ;)..... Just took her out for 5 mins and she didnt go.. walked in shut the door turned around and she was starting to pee- scooped her up put her back outside stood with her again for 5 mins and she didnt pee.. :(!!!

10. GeorgeBick

Oh i clean up everytime she goes inside using the 'get off and stay off' spray which cleans it up and also acts as a deterrent. Outside its just u know grass, patio lol :p

11. GeorgeBick

There is a pad out there actually- she just ignors it :(

12. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

What surface does the pup prefer to wee on?

If she likes paper then you can try putting some down for example. I would try to avoid puppy pads if you can, as they train the pup to go inside, and then your housetraining period gets extended. Some ppl who used them I've met, still had regular (not just accidents) indoor poos at 6 months.

13. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

And unused... so paper or carpet might help.

The point about puppy pads being best avoided, is if you decide to train to use them, and encourage going on pads inside as intended product usage, and even recommended by some vets, according to the ppl I spoke to.

#13 RobD-BCactive, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  14. GeorgeBick

If i could add something :p ;) .. to make things worse I'm going to have to keep her on a lead when I take her out for the next couple of days becuase they are changing the fence pannels :(

15. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

16. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

If you've got to keep her on lead, make it a long one so she can wander around the garden.

As for peeing as soon as you get inside - yup, been there, got the t-shirt. It's very very annoying, but just put them back outside as you have done.

I wouldn't start putting paper or pads or anything outside. I think it's still confusing. If you want something to tempt your puppy to go on your grass there are special wee-posts you can buy that have a scent that are meant to encourage them.

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As she gives signals she needs to go, have her on a light lead all the time unless she's in her crate. She is on one end, the other is tied to your belt - around 6 feet is ideal. She can't wander off to pee in the house, you can see the signals and get her outside fast. Staying out for 5 minutes isn't enough, give it longer.

The bit you wrote about her lying in her bed and having no energy makes me think there could be something wrong with her and a trip to the vet is required. A pup shouldn't be like that.

18. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

When we take Holly outside for wees she generally has a lead dragging behind her, as my garden isn't really small dog proof... She takes at least 5 minutes to be like "yay I'm outside", then twig that it's the garden and it's pee and poop time. Then she goes around in a circle like 10 times before squatting... I swear she's weird, and slow, but ye, used to take up to 20 mins as a pup.

19. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I agree that 5 minutes outside is not long enough. We were often outside for up to half an hour at a time, he needed a long time to calm down enough to go. We put him in a puppy pen when he was outside as well, to stop him getting distracted! Often he would start to squat and then go "oh look! A LEAF!" and change his mind... very frustrating!

It does get better and does work eventually, you just have to be patient!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice