Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Starting out

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Saffers, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Saffers

Saffers PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I've just joined this forum looking for tips and support. Big life changes, midlife crisis lol but after doing a Day course to groom my own dogs, I've decided I'd like to start my own grooming business from home. I have been grooming friends dogs to gain confidence and experience with different breeds. I'm currently doing a Level 1 course . Any tips on setting up my own business would be really appreciated. I've had a lot of interest through friends of friends and now have business insurance as I have been doing the odd dog that's not a direct friend so feel I need to now be more business conscious and health and safety! Cheers saffron

2. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

Firstly, with all due respect, it sounds like you haven't got enough experience to open your own salon. You'd be better off renting a table in another salon, or doing a higher level course or getting a job as a Groomer first to gain more experience.

Do you mean you have public liability insurance? Ideally, you want to have insurance from a pet business provider like cliverton or pet business insurance. Otherwise it's likely that the animals in your are won't be covered should they require any vet treatment whilst in you care.

You can do basic health and safety courses online that won't be tailored to grooming but will teach you how to carry out risk assessments and go over things like slips, trips and falls, and heavy lifting etc. You can do them for less than £15 online so worth it IMO. I did one in childcare as I'm a mother of two and used it to help mum set up as a childminder. I polished up my risk assessments afterwards and updated my policies and procedures.

ChrisLeGroomDoll likes this.
  3. mands71

mands71 PetForums Newbie

hi,this is something i am interested in doing too and appreciate the comments given. I am based in Leicestershire and when i look online at the courses available ( to attend in person) there are lots of options. Does anyone know of a good trainer/school in Leicester/Leicestershire? Many thanks.

4. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice