Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Starting crate training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kdlang, Jul 25, 2009.

1. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

Iv been asked today if i will foster a 10wk old labradoodle when my current charge leaves us in 2-3wks. I have just got a couple of questions about crate training which i apologise if they have been answered before.

I have a crate which is quite large as I bought it for my current charge who is a 1yr old lab to replace his smaller one. Will the new pup be ok in such a large crate or should i get a smaller one so she feels more secure?

Also, all I'v read about crate training talks about introducing it gradually which I am more than happy to do and have time to do. However, how do you go about the first couple of nights? She wouldn't have had time to become adjusted to it before the first night and she will be in the crate to prevent her messing in my bedroom. Surely shutting her in overnight ruins the gradual adjustment process.

2. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Ideally, you do need a smaller crate, one that she can turn around in but not walk around in (if that makes sense). I presume labradoodles grow to the same size as a normal labrador? (Never seen one). If so, then it would really be a waste of money getting the smaller crate as she'll soon outgrow it. So basically...if you have the money to waste, then get a smaller crate. If not, then she'll be fine in the bigger crate.

Secondly, I've never done the whole gradual process for putting them in the crate. I don't know how that would be possible as like you say, where do they go the first night? They need to know that the crate is their bed. You wouldn't gradually let them sleep in an open bed would you? (I don't mean you as in you, just a general you lol). Ours have always done fine going straight in on day one for the night.

3. You can buy dividers for crates! may be worth having a look at using one of these, don't see the point in buying a smaller crate myself as the above poster has said you will need the bigger crate evenutally"
    DT

4. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

I had heard about dividers but never seen them. I will have a look around. I am only going to be having her until she is about 6 months old and is placed with a client so I don't have to worry about her growing too big for a smaller crate but don't really want to have to buy one if I don't have to IYSWIM. It may be that they bring one with her in which case it will be problem solved.

thanks for the advice. Any more on getting started would be appreciated. All the dogs I have had before have either not needed a crate or already been crate trained.

5. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

One thing I did mean to mention in my previous post but forgot to was:

Feed her in her crate so that she knows its a good experience. Don't shut the door though. Also put in a couple of her toys when you go to bed so that she has something to play with if she wakes up in the night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice