UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jack Russell who will two next month and i have finally found a training group that i can attend that isnt duringg working hours. They do agility and flyballl amongst other things.

Im looking to start going once a week with my jack but im a bit worried.
Ozzy isnt good off lead because as soon as he sees people or dogs he wants to play. so will run off totally ignoring everything you say, when no one is around he is perfect :)

secondly when out for walks (on an extendable lead) he has started to snap at dogs (male and female). My friend got a puppy so he spent lots of time with her and was very good with her, just playing and running about. But as soon as he is outside its another story. Any dog could come into my house and he would be fine. its only outside.

Im worried i wont be able to take part in agility and i dont know how to get this out of him,

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I would go speak with the people runnign the sessions. They may request you put the dog through basic obedience first etc.

Do you allow your dog to interact with other dogs or do you pull him away as soon as you see another dog?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Most agility clubs require a basic standard of obedience first so it may be wiser to invest some time in training classes so that you can learn how to teach him to come back where there are distractions first. It is perfectly possible with Jack Russells if the training is fun for them! :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all with the issues you have mentioned.

many dogs when they do agility get so focused on what they are doing they forget the other dogs are there and as for dogs running round ignoring their owner... well at the club i trained at it was part of the course and everyone accepted it and the trainers helped the owners over come the problem.

Don't worry over it, just go to your class and enjoy it

Good luck

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I can't imagine many agility clubs welcoming a snapping dog that ignores its owner. I think you should get the basic obedience in first, using training classes or a behaviourist to address the issues. You could start agility training in 1 to 1 sessions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.