UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, Im just looking for some advice about Zeus..

Basically we've been on a couple of walks lately in busier places where theres been a few more dogs about, Now for a while we have been going on our airfield where there is no other dogs and Zeus does have the place to himself to run himself silly..

Now as we've been on the more populated walk route with other dogs going by, hes been getting silly excited, sometimes whiny.

If another strange dog approaches and hes on lead I just ask him for a down and get him to leave the other dog, but Zeus is finding this really hard (he wasnt like this before).

Off the lead hes also started bolting to the other dog and almost 'forcing play' :mad: He is really becoming quite rude, I dont know what hes really acting out for, nothings changed our routines not changed, Maybe its the fact we've been a bit isolated and sight of another dog gets him too excited?

What would you recommend I do?? :confused:

Btw Zeus is 16 months now and is still intact..

·
Registered
60 Posts
oh my god im having the same problem with my american bully. he has just turned 16 months and never had any problem before but now if he passes another dog when we are walking he goes all weird and whines like crazy!! and if he is off the lead he will bolt and not come back even though up until a few weeks ago he has always stayed by my side and behaved extremely well on and off lead. i think its an age thing, the bigger breeds hit maturity around this age and i think its their way of saying im a teen and ill do what i want haha. im hoping it will stop soon with some positive reinforcement. you should try and perfect your recall with a friend who has a dog and repeat until he is under control again :) xxx

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
What's his body language like? Amber can get whiny like that and bark but its all show and no trousers. If he went up to her like that with a relaxed play bow and no malice, then she would probably respond the same way.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
The first thing I'd do if he's bounding over forcing play is keep him onlead around other dogs until you can get him to recall.

Whilst onlead in busy areas try and keep his attention on you with treats and squeaky toys, this worked with Lucky.

Not much help sorry, hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be able to offer better advice.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's his body language like? Amber can get whiny like that and bark but its all show and no trousers. If he went up to her like that with a relaxed play bow and no malice, then she would probably respond the same way.
Im no expert but he see's the dog, if off the lead he runs up (charging/being bossy) and barks and bounces round but its not in a dead friendly 'play with me' manner its more... pushy? hes being very assertive ( either way I do not like this behaviour from him )

On the lead its... focused on dog, selective hearing, and trys to get over to him, Sometimes pulls, but I stop dead when this happens (thats how I trained him to heel, but like I say he forgets everything hes been taught when hes in this mood) :thumbdown:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.