Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Started saving

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Prowl, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I have started saving for a cat ^^

After looking at a few breeds I have decided that after a lot of thought that a rescue maybe for the best.

I still maybe able to get the cat I want at a rescue but I feel that due to having a dog I don't want to waste any breeders time. It would be more fair on the kitten to have come from a rescue this way their is a place garanteed for the cat to go back to should neither cat or dog get on.

Good breeders are supposed to take back kittens but due to costs its a big loss financially if the kitten and the dog don't get on and it can take a fair bit of time for the two to get used to eachother.

I could all ways get a rescue and then if things work out well I might be able to get a pedigree later on but then of course its the same issues as mentioned again.

I think next spring will be a good time to get a cat the months are getting colder now and it will give me time to save up. I think I will need some feliway ^^'

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Going to a rescue is great, and make sure your dog is really well trained when it comes to small furry animals.

If he/she doesn't bother with a cat or kitten then the cat or kitten will get used to him/her. If you have any doubts start now. How your dog reacts to squirrels and rabbits (or cats should you meet one!) when you are out is a clue.

3. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Well done on your decision!:001_smile:

4. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I would not have considered it last year as Millie would chase anything that ran but she is ok with cats she knows.

She's still a bit naughty as she likes to jump forwards to make the cats run but the ones who are used to her antics don't budge and just stair at her like she is on a lead and their not nur nur nur :>

I think if we had a confident dog savvy cat they would get on well and be good company for eachother eventually.

I have seen Millie get cornered by the more confident cats in the neighbourhood and she does not act aggresively towards them which is good.

All though she likes to act like a doberman she is actually a bit of a wimp at heart :rolleyes:

5. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Just one thing to note.

I have a friend who runs a sanctuary. A while ago she was asked to take in 2 cats that had originally been adopted from the RSPCA.

The owner was having to give them up, didn't want to but had to, so contacted RSPCA who had said they took adopted pets back.

They refused to take them back. They ended up at the sanctuary which was their lucky day because they will have a home for life there instead of being PTS.

So, do be careful where you adopt from.

6. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

Most rescues and possibly breeders would probably let you bring your dog over to see how s/he will reacted to a cat.

7. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Doesn't all ways work out though a dog may well be behaved at the rescue because its not their place then when you get back after a few days problems may start to arise.

Things arn't all ways immdediate and introductions take time especially if you end up with a honeymoon period.

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Choose your breeders carefully and you will get a dog friendly kitten, it is then up to you to train your dog.

Attached Files:

9. Prowl

Prowl Guest

The trouble is even if the cat is dog friendly/savvy it doesn't all ways work out. A pedigree kitten is a large loss emotionally and finacially if things don't go to plan.

Pedigree kittens are not cheap I don't think I have come across any that are less then £200

Yet their are hundreds in rescues that will make just as good a pet for much less. I can spare cash for a rescue as the money goes to a good cause.

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Why not consider rescuing from somewhere like
    Rushden Persian Rescue
    I believe she took in 14 Ragdolls, 10 of them kittens, just yesterday......
    Of course there are NEVER any guarantees that a cat and dog will get on, although I think that most do.
    I believe that patsy has at least one resident dog at the rescue so the cats will at least have some exposure.

11. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

Yay! A rescue.. good on you!! Well done.. you will be rewarded with a lifetime of love :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice