Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Start as I mean to go on, barking and walking

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by potatan, Jun 28, 2010.

1. potatan

potatan PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Jess is now about 10 weeks old and has been living with me for about 10 days.

Barking - she seems to have found her voice now! I play with her regularly, and for what I consider a reasonable amount of time - she would beg to differ however. When I am forced to leave her to her own devices for a few minutes (mopping the floor for instance), then she starts barking, presumably for attention. Occasionally she'll bark in the kitchen if she's locked in there too (normally she would just whine for about 20 seconds). So should I just carry on ignoring her barks and yaps? It's a fine line I'm treading between teaching her that barking for attention is not the way to get it, and not letting her annoy the neighbours too much while she learns this lesson!

Walking to heel - she's not fully vaccinated yet, but there is a very quiet service lane outside the back of my property so I am taking her for a stroll up and down there now and then. What's the best method (or methods) for teaching her not to pull on the lead? She's not too bad to be honest, but I'm sure there's no time like the present for learning to walk to heel.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

2. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

She's only a baby yet so walking on the lead is still fairly new to her. The way I do it with my fella is to have some really tasty treats handy, start walking and when he pulls I just stop walking and gently pull him back to my side. When walking nicely I say the word 'close, good close', and give a treat.

It seems to be working because he now walks nicely by my side for most of the time now, but whether it is the best way to do it or not I dont know.

As for the barking, I dont know the best thing to do for that other than ignoring it and when she is quiet give loads of praise and treats, but I am sure someone with a bit more knowledge will tell you.

What sort of dog is it by the way?

3. potatan

potatan PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice - she's a 3/4 cross border collie.

I understand about praising her when she's quiet, unless she only goes quiet when she has my attention through barking :)

Like you say, she's very young yet so I'm not terribly concerned, and I will explain to the neighbours that it's like a crying baby, i.e. something she will grow out of as she learns from me about what is good and bad.

4. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

in classes i recommend teaching all young puppies the "quiet" command.

to begin with, when puppy is nice and quiet and going about her business just say "nice quiet", give her a treat and walk away.
    do this for about two days at random intervals but often.
    on the third or fourth day wait for her to start barking then ask her for a "quiet". as soon as she stops barking "nice quiet" and treat with lots of hugs and fuss.
    repeat the random nice quiets and ask for a "quiet" every time she barks.

at no time should you tell her off for barking as one day she may need to alert you to some danger or another and will be reluctant to do so if she has been reprimanded for making a noise. far better to quietly ask her to be quiet and then she will learn that she can only make a lot of noise in certain circumstances.

same applies if she becomes reactive to the doorbell. let her tell you someone is there and then ask for the "quiet" before you open the door.
    :thumbup:

5. potatan

potatan PetForums Newbie

Sounds like very good advice, thanks.

6. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

with my pup, he is 4 months old now.. we use the quiet method and it does work quite well, although he isnt really a 'talkative' dog.

also when walking him, i use the word 'close', but i put his name before it so he knows i am talking to him eg 'radley.. close'. when he does walk close i treat him. also have the lead in your right hand, going across your body and hold the slack with your left and the treat in your left so he can see it or at least smell it.. its much easier this way to give him the treat without having to fish into your pockets and the dog forgetting what he has been good for. he will hopefully learn that walking by your hand may mean he gets a goodie every now and again x

*sorry used the term 'he'. its just habit cause i have a he dog lol*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice