Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Standard Poodle help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Poodleman, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Poodleman

Poodleman PetForums Newbie

Hi

New here and would like some advice

We currently have a 6yr old Standard Poodle who was given to us 1 year ago. He was a show dog so initially well behave but now hes a bit of a tinker but i dont mind.

Anyhow the issue we have is he gets really excited/aggressive with small kids. Its getting to the stage where we cant let him off the lead. Twice he has ran off and pounced on a child and nipped them (Hes a big unit). His tail waggles etc so i dnt think hes aggressive but dont know to make him stop.

I took him to my local pub where he normally behaves but there was a child who was only 1/2 years and was walking about the pub and my dog literally pulled me arm out its socket to try and get at this child. Would not listen to me and i had to take him home (left half a pint as well :mad: ) just incase he hurt the kid.

His behaviour is similar when he sees a cat as well but hes more aggressive with cats.

Any advice would be brilliant

Gav

Attached Files:

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well after a year he's feeling his feet in his new home and pushing the boundaries as to what is acceptable behaviour.

Do you do any basic training with him ie recall, sit stay, etc?

It might be worth finding a decent local dog training class, where a good instructor will help you address these issues.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have had standard poodles and they are quite full on but mine were very well mannered if I was around.

I would suggest that you go to a dog training class or get a behaviourist. If it is new behaviour then it sounds like he is starting to settle in well and try out what he can get off with and behaving badly round other people, especially children, is not on. I would guess you have been too soft with him and not laid down boundaries because basically he was well behaved and so he is now doing his own thing.

4. Llamapic

Llamapic PetForums Newbie

It might be worth posting on SPC forums, there could be people on there who knew your boy before he retired from showing and so might have some insight in view of previous behaviour.

SP breeders generally like to keep in touch with their dogs and be informed of any problems - have you asked the breeder about this? Who bred him? Is there a kennel name?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice