Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stallion Problems

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding and Rearing Foals' started by ThePony, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePony

ThePony PetForums Newbie

We have a Stallion who is frequently mounting the mares but really is a wonderful eventer,We have recently been wondering if we should breed from him.

Thanks,
    Debby

#1 ThePony, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

If you have a stallion who frequently mounts the mares he may take the decision out of your hands. Why are you keeping a stallion together with mares?

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I thought stallions were to be kept separate from other horses with stud fencing (6ft high fences). :confused:

4. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

I hope this is a troll, either that or you shouldn't own horses at all!!:eek: :eek:
    If you haven't figured out yet that colts can breed from 6 months old onwards and you are keeping an entire with mares - you're either an idiot and all your mares are in foal, or the stallion is firing blanks.

If this is genuine you need to get this stallions nuts off asap and keep him with a bachelor herd until at least 6 weeks after gelding to make sure there are no tadpoles left. Only about 5% of all colts bred are good enough to breed from and just because it is trying to hump everything is a pretty poor reason to breed from him, let alone the fact he will more than likley not even compliment your mares conformation - have either the mares or the stallion in question accomplished anything or is it purely because one has nuts and the other a uterus that you think you'd love a cute bunch of random foals that will end up like the thousands of others bred by idiots like you that are causing a serious overpopulation of horses - the majority of which end up as cat food???!!!

You do also realise he could get serious injuries if he is in-experienced and just left with a bunch of mares, the mares can also be seriously injured - ever seen a mare with a ruptured rectum and bowel from an inexperienced stallion left to 'get on with it' - needless to say the mare had to be put down, I've seen it the other way too with a young stallion kicked in the nuts so hard his intestines herniated into his scrotum and he had to be put down??
    Please be a troll!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :frown2: :frown2:

5. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

I had trouble with a stallion last year for about 11 months. It was a complete nightmare i can tell you !

The field next to me was rented out to a incompetent person with 9 mares & a stallion with various foals.
    I asked the owner to keep him well away from my 2 mares, she took no notice whatsoever & he caused no end of damage. My fencing was wrecked over £1000 worth, a metal gate was lifted by him & smashed, ripped rugs off my horses back totalling £600 plus. He eventually got in one afternoon & covered one of my mares a few times. I had to have her scanned by my vet which cost ME £160.
    I complained endlessly to the landowner asking him to intervene as i just couldn't put my mares through much more of this. One of my mares got that stressed she lost so much weight i was on the verge of losing her, again another vets visit.

In the end the owner of the many horses & her stallion was evicted but left me with huge bills to repair everything.

A stallion should be fenced off behind 6ft sturdy fencing & not left to run with mares.
    This stallion i am talking about was the sire of all the foals & once the foals were born he was again covering the mares, he again was left with all horses & foals too.

The owner was being monitored by the WHW & SSPCA as she wasn't feeding them at all & the winters we get ALL equines need feeding. Infact the WHW was bringing them hay.
    The reason the WHW never took them off the owner was because they were inupdated with equines people no longer wanted or couldn't afford to keep them.
    No excuse but thats another matter.

I wouldn't wish this upon anybody what my 2 mares & myself had to live with.

6. ThePony

ThePony PetForums Newbie

Thanks,This Forum was posted by my friend Debby who shares this account at the moment,She is new to breeding:)

7. suze23

suze23 PetForums Senior

are you serious?!!

mares and stallion together WILL have foals....................... did your friend not do sex ed. at school!!?

sorry to be so blunt but troll or you being serious!?!!

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

9. ThePony

ThePony PetForums Newbie

That was Debby,And True I have a Dog,I got him un-neutered at the age of five,Also if you where all born yesterday then you wouldn'tbe here:)

10. suze23

suze23 PetForums Senior

troll................

school holidays/sick leave or homeschooled.........

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Well you got in somehow, didn't you?

12. pop pop

pop pop PetForums Member

if its your friend debbie who posted about her stalion then why havent you just give her advice as you say on the dog section you run a horse stud farm..... hmmm me thinks troll :dita:

13. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

You both need to talk to your parents and/or a vet...closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice