Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stag Beetle - endangered!

Discussion in 'Wildlife Gallery' started by Julia1900, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Julia1900

Julia1900 PetForums Newbie

Dear All,

Just a brief note to let people (who may be unaware) that the stag beetle is now considered to be endangered.
    The little chap (photo attached) was outside the front door two weeks ago and I managed to jettison him (carefully) over the wall to the tennis court as there is more foliage. Two days later, on my way home, the little (ha! - he's at least 3 inches long) chap was next to the house again on the pavement - for fear of him being squished by someone, I did the same again. Hopefully he has found a safer place now to inhabit. Apparently they generally only feast upon dead wood but, if necessary and they appear unwell, you can give them sugar water and fruit as well.

Anyway, I was intrigued and just wanted to let others know. There is a website for these beetles so that they can track where sightings are seen. I myself am on the Isle of Wight but in a town where there is more concrete than woodland (for those who may still think the Island to be a countryside with thatched cottages).

Attached Files:

Valanita, rona and kittih like this.
  2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I have had them in my garden in Cambridgeshire. I deliberately leave rotten wood at the bottom in the garden for them. The males are magnificent.

Well done for rescuing your beetle.

rona likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

We have them every year in Dorset. We had two last week, we move them to the front garden out of the way of the pets but they are usually back within 24 hours.

IMG_4109.JPG

Valanita and rona like this.
  4. Julia1900

Julia1900 PetForums Newbie

Superb photo! Bizarrely and strangely, I found a small female stag beetle indoors next to the chair in the walkway to the kitchen. I picked her up (thought it was something weirdly unpleasant as lighting indoors is awful) and then realised what it was! I put her outside in the back yard where there is a lot of yucky wood and the like. Today, sadly, outside my house AGAIN in the street I spotted a much larger female who had been squished by a person or car - I probably looked insane (no change there) as I carried her in my hand for a few feet just as a woman was walking past. All she saw was a middle aged woman with a black splodgy thing in her hand which she probably thought was a form of dog excrement! To reassure this woman, I then said that it was a female stag beetle (much to the bemusement of the other woman) and as I squeaked 'they are endangered you know!' I reckon she will alter any journey she makes to avoid going past where I live.

Charity likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice