Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Staffy puppy cross smelly yellow poo

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ginge2010, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Ginge2010

Ginge2010 PetForums Newbie

Hi need some help i recently had a staff crossed with a mastiff he is brilliant puppy great with my kids he is 7 weeks olds, iv noticed his number 2s are yellow and soft but not waterery they stink really bad and his breath smells the same as his poo he eats and drinks reguarly and behaviour hasnt changed but does nip alot he eats bakers complete and has milk inbetween as i was told to do so by breeder but have stopped milk since his yellow poo started since thursday morning.

Thanks inadvance

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff PetForums Senior

Hi. How long have you had your pup? Do you know what food he was on when he was still with the breeder? Any change in diet can cause runny stools in such a young pup, and also the stress involved in leaving Mum and dealing with a new environment can cause a temporarily upset tummy. Food intolerance is also possible. Worming (or indeed lack of) can also have an impact.

At 7 weeks old if he is eating well he shouldn't need milk, and this can definitely cause an upset tummy in some pups.

3. danielled

danielled Guest

I'd look at changing the pups food Bakers I's awful stuff. We call bakers and the like junk food for dogs. Bakers I's full of junk.

4. Terry Delgado

Terry Delgado PetForums Junior

The first thing to do is get him off Bakers Complete. The worst food in the World-full of additives and colourants-sheer rubbish!

Check the Which Dog food Guide for good quality food. You can put in details of your Puppy, and it will advise you of best foods for him.

Which Dog Food.co.uk

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Can I ask how long you've had him? Pups shouldn't leave for new homes until at least 7 weeks of age, preferrably nearer to 8 weeks of age for larger breeds, longer for smaller/toy breeds. If you've had him a *while* and he's only just 7 weeks of age, it would make me question whether the breeder cut other corners, such as worming. I also hope the mum was the mastiff, not the most responsible of cross breeds, no matter how lovely the individual pups may be.

I personally wouldn't change his diet right this second, as much as I HATE bakers and agree completely that it is an awful food, I would want to elminate the possibility of other factors and make sure he will be able to digest other foods, rather than ending up switching him from bakers, only to find he doesn't do well on the next food, or the next one etc. So make sure he's wormed, if he's due his first set of jabs within the next couple of weeks which will most likely give him another tummy upset, get through the first set of those and see how he is.

I would, alongside the bakers, give him some easy to digest home cooked food like chicken and rice, egg and rice, white fish (no bones) and rice. Switch the rice for potato if you want, both are good, easy on the tummy foods.

I'd monitor him for a few days after worming, be prepared for some possibly very nasty poops and if he's looking ok in himself (particularly if he's having his jabs soon) then research a good food, and switch him over, you may get away with a fairly quick switch, but because he's having problems with his poop, I would be cautious at first and then speed up if you feel you can.

6. Ginge2010

Hello everyone thanks for the advice i have had dexter since last wednesday night he was given bakers complete by the breeder aswell and was wormed by breeder on wednesday aswell the milk i stopped giving him as soon as i noticed a change in his number 2s i did research into bakers and totally agree it is rubbish food but because of him being given it by breeder didnt want to upset his stomach even more by changing his food. I know the breeder myself and all her dogs all properly cared for or else i wouldnt of had him.
    What food would you reccomend as iv only ever used pedigree with my old dog jimmy (r.i.p)

Forgot to mention the mom is the staffy and the dad is the staff crossed with the mastiff

#6 Ginge2010, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Doesn't sound like it :nonod: for the following reasons:

1. Breeding staffies when so many are being abandoned, sold on, dumped in rescue or PTS
    2. Allowing a mating between a staff dam & a staff/mastiff sire (probable significant size difference, putting the bitch at additional risk on top of all the other risks associated with pregnancy & birth)
    3. Allowing pups to go at 6 weeks
    4. Feeding a really poor quality food

I would imagine no health tests in place for either parent dog, all in all sounds like a backyard breeder who doesn't care about their dogs at all :(

Pedigree is about the same quality as Bakers, there are much better quality dry foods available, a list can be found here:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/255727-updated-dry-dog-food-index.html

8. Ginge2010

Dexter was seven weeks on wednesday the day i had him so eight weeks this week i visited puppy regulary before i had him (iv known breeder over 10 years) and the conditions they were brought up in were excellent and parents have proper vet care regular boosters and check ups the parents are in great shape and a great temprament and great with kids the mom is 5 yrs old and dad is 10 years old .

9. Ginge2010

I have known the owners of the puppies parents over ten years parents are regulary vet checked and regular injection boosters, the puppies were brought up in an excellent clean enviroment i know they were wormed as i was there when he was done and i visited puppy alot before i had him parents are great with kids and very plasid and in great shape but by the looks of it i think his number 2s are starting to go back to normal not as yellow but a little bit soft only change i made was stopping the milk.
    I am looking at changing his food but the only problem the shops and supermarkets round me only sell well known brands like bakers, pedigree, iams, winalot, wagg, webbox

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice